NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

obscured by clouds

Nexus 6

There is a place in south America that had planes flying around with some kind of electrostatic thing strapped to the wings to get rid of clouds. I forget the exact reason for this as the documentary was some time ago. I'm assuming it was more due to heavy rains rather than the locals wanting to star gaze :)

I have been to many air shows and if cloud comes over they always send a jet up to disperse the cloud so the show can go on. I think this is some what more of a localized thing compared to the planes in SA but it dose show that clouds can be beaten.

Someone posted about an eBay auction for a Harrier jump jet, maybe we should all pitch together and buy it. We could each take it in turn to borrow it for a nights observing :o

SPACEBOY

I have been to many air shows and if cloud comes over they always send a jet up to disperse the cloud so the show can go on. I think this is some what more of a localized thing compared to the planes in SA but it dose show that clouds can be beaten.

hmmm, you may be on to something spaceboy.I say that in jest :o but who knows there may be some boffin who reads this and has a eurika moment :)

Here's what the met office have to say. No long term forecast is particularly reliable but there is some hope...

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:

Brighter with a few showers on Sunday and Monday. Feeling cold as brisk winds veer northeasterly. Possible overnight frosts. Cloudier and mainly dry with winds easing on Tuesday.

UK Outlook for Wednesday 2 Mar 2011 to Friday 11 Mar 2011:

A cooler outlook, with some cloud and rain moving southwards during Wednesday and Thursday, then turning drier, colder and windier across northern and eastern parts of the UK, with fairly cloudy conditions and a chance of showers, perhaps turning wintry at times. Meanwhile, remaining cold, but drier, brighter and less windy further south and west. Overnight frost and fog patches are likely under clear spells for many with temperatures below normal for the time of year. High pressure should build during the weekend and into the new week, becoming drier for many and staying bright, but remaining chilly with overnight frost continuing. Later into the following week, the weather may start to turn more unsettled in the northwest, with some wind and rain here, and temperatures generally returning to normal.

UK Outlook for Saturday 12 Mar 2011 to Saturday 26 Mar 2011:

This period should see unsettled conditions at first with occasional rain or showers and drier interludes, but there is a signal that high pressure will return and build across the UK, turning things mainly dry with bright or sunny spells, but often mixed with variable amounts of cloud. Rainfall amounts may be below or well below average for the time of year due to the drier conditions, and temperatures should be around normal. Sunshine amounts across the country are likely to vary due to variable cloud amounts, but should be around average on the whole.

I do remember the BBC saying that the Ruskies used to blast away the clouds on their Mayday parades.. that was in the 60s 70s! So what happened to that technology? Cos i am P****D off with this cloud cover right now!

I do remember the BBC saying that the Ruskies used to blast away the clouds on their Mayday parades.. that was in the 60s 70s! So what happened to that technology? Cos i am P****D off with this cloud cover right now!

Put it this way they can keep that technology. During the cold war there was a race to designed a long range bomber that was nuclear powered:- Nuclear aircraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia They made adequate protection for the pilots to fly the planes but due to the nature of the propulsion system the radioactive material used to power the engines spewed out where ever they flew. This just happens to be around the same time (mid 60's) that their cloud busting machine was born.

Archived