Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Watec WAT-902H 1/2 CCD

jon52

hi

after a long time observing I have decided after much thought that getting a video camera for some deep sky photography and viewing might be a good stepping stone in the long road to astro photography.

After browsing the internet a cheap way of good quality videocam is from the USA. I recently saw advertised a Watec WAT 902H for sale at a very good price.

Would appreciate any advice from members who have had any experience of this camera. Thanks

Hello Jon.

I don't have experience of the Watec 902 but I do have a Samsung SDC 435 which should do most of what the Watec 902 can do but in colour. Price is about the same. See write-up of the Samsung in the Feb issue of Astronomy Now.

I have the Astrovid Stella cam EX, which is a much older version than the Watec, it's only 128 FPR while the Watec delivers 256 FPR, which is twice much more senistive and will make dim DSOs much brighter.

However an both cameras are excellent devices and you don't need equatorial mount for them, as long you have simple goto mount or a mount with electric drives, you should be OK.

I use my Stella cam on the SW 127 mak scope with a Synscan goto mount, And I can tell yer the images produced by these cameras are superb and objects appear much more brighter than normal observing. DSO'S will stand out more and if you have apeture of the scope, so more is better!!! :glasses1:

I think generally the watec is considered to be a higher grade camera than the mintron.

Be warned about getting stuff from the US: there are several threads on here about people who ended up paying large sums in import duty and VAT and RM charges before they got their goods.

I've owned Stellacams 1, 11 and 111. The 1 was based on the Mintron.

In turn each was amazing, I remember imaging M13 through thin cloud with the 1. However, based on the Watec 120n, the 11, which I still have, is far superior, not only for its increased sensitivity but also for noise reduction and no annoying amp glow, the almost realtime on screen images with a 12" SCT operating at F3.3 were better than anything I've seen with up to 30" aperture. You do have to have a good night, free of atmospheric moisture and not too warm for best results. The 111 is also based on the monochrome 120n but has a Peltier cooling device and fan. It also has its great infinite integration facility which allows you to expose for as long as your drive accuracy will allow, imagine just how much better one minute is compared to 10 seconds. The 111 retailed at nearly £800 at the time so is not a fair comparison on cost grounds. I have a Samsung SDC 435 which so far promises to be better than the Mintron or the Watec WAT-902H and costs around £90 less lens (which is not needed).

Hello Jon. I purchased mine s/h so I'm not sure exactly what you get with the camera from a supplier. You do not need the lens but you will need a 1.25" screw on nosepiece, 12v power supply and the necessary camera to TV cables, my seller kindly included these. If you Google the camera model no. a number of outlets will be displayed. As soon as this wretched weather improves I will be pleased to report further on its performance.

Hi Guys!

I have a raw image of M42, using my Stella cam EX fitted in afocal with my SW 127mm MAK in light polluted skies.

If anyone is interested in these live video CCD cameras, they are good, but my Stella cam is 10 years old and technology is getting better so I'm looking for a better camera for near future?

However there isn't many Astronomy Retailers sell much of these camera's, And I considering getting the Watec but it's for too pricey for what it is????

Can anyone please give some suggestions!!! Thanks guys!!:rolleyes:

m42.TIF

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Watec 902H from e-bay recently.

Cost less that 80euro incl shipping.

It's a very sensitive B/W camera.

I am in then process of using it as a meteor camera.

If you want sensitivity and fast frames, stick with B/W IMHO.

thanks for the reply astroshot, the watec stuff i`d seen was out of my price range, sounds like you got a bargain

Im just getting started in astronomy and the sdc-435 seemed to be able to give a bit of wow factor from the mag review i saw in astronomy now. colour images do please, but as you say i guess you loose something if it does colour aswell and hence its not as sensitive.

Has been interesting finding out that all the colour you see in mags of dso`s isn`t what the human eye would see if you could actually go to say M42. for a while i thought it was all down to bigger telescopes (could have got a bit expensive and then a bit disapointing). So i guess the BW route is a purist route in someways.

(please correct me if im wrong here, its all still a bit new)

Archived