Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A little confused about dovetails

Hello everyone

Received my HEQ5 and ST80 a couple of days ago and have had it set up in the lounge just playing and getting EQMOD to work.

It has all gone very well however I am a little confused about the plastic mounting bar that comes with the ST80.

post-22976-133877534681_thumb.jpg

It doesn't fit very well in the slot of the HEQ5

post-22976-133877534672_thumb.jpg

This also came in the box but the I don't think it is right for the scope.

post-22976-133877534677_thumb.jpg

The above bar fits the mount like a glove but I can't see a way off bolting the scope to it. None of the holes line up.

I am probably being really thick, but hey:icon_confused:

I had my Canon 500d and 100-400 L lens on top of the scope and the whole lot fell out, luckily I caught it:icon_eek:

Thanks very much for reading.

Jeremy

Oops - just noticed that you have an ST80. You won't be able to get the tube rings far enough apart to fit the holes in the dovetail bar - the scope tube is not long enough.

You may need to buy another dove tail bar and shorten + drill it to suit the tube ring separation that can be achieved.

It's a bit awkward with ST80's ......

Phew! that looked so wierd till I saw the third pic - yup as John says loose the plastic thing (dunno what that's for) and bolt the tube rings directly to the dovetail. You may have to move them up/down the tube a little to line up with the dovetail bar holes. :glasses1:

Thank you all for your excellent and very quick replies. Have discarded the plastic bit and bolted the on the dovetail bar with bolts from the plastic bit. One of the bolts was a tight fit into the dovetail, but it went.

post-22976-133877534685_thumb.jpg

Is can't sit very central on the mount due to the bolt heads being too close together and the tube rings can't go any further apart.

post-22976-13387753469_thumb.jpg

But perhaps this is all that is needed. It is very secure now.

Billy-Thank you for your kind offer, do you think what I have done will suffice?

Thanks again all.

Jeremy

it will work ideally you need to be able to slide the dovetail back and fore in the "puck" on the mount to balance the setup

I would have been able to counter bore the holes for the bolt heads so that you can slide the scope back and fore to achieve balance... can still do it for you if you like :glasses1:

Billy...

Here you go....

I changed it round so that there are clearance holes in the rings and they bolt into tapped holes in the dovetail, I also milled out the dovetail so all the flat on the rings is in contact with the dovetail.

the cap screw underneath can be fitted either end.. its worth putting this in as it can stop the dovetail ands scopes sliding out of the mount if you loosen of the locking screws on the mount puck..

I have also put in the two M5 tapped holes used for cone aligning OTA's

I will get it in the post to you tomorrow afternoon next day delivery...

woody_1.jpg

Peter...

Archived