Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M81-2

Shibby

Here's my Bode's Nebula.

36 x 4m unguided, ISO 800, D70 (unmodded)

To be honest, I was hoping for a bit more for the amount of time spent. Not sure what to blame, there was a lot of sky background but it may be my processing techniques that are the problem!

I'm very pleased with the performance of my new coma corrector though, this is my first image with it and it's working a treat.

M81_M82.jpg

Reprocess:

M81_M82_v2.jpg

Incredibly good stars for unguided. Well, good stars full stop.

The signal isn't strong, I agree, but I think you have hit the noise limit myself. Good colour.

PixInsight is great for the background sky, by the way.

There are ways to soothe the background sky in PS though. Use the colour select tool to select it and then lower saturation and contrast. Not subtle but if done cautiously it does work to some extent.

Olly

Thanks for the comments!

...But you've got some data to play with, it's still there - look

You're right, there is some extra fuzziness there, but I don't think there's anything useful; the problem is I find the fainter stuff is *only just* brighter than the background, so when I try and work it out it looks incredibly noisy. So I think I prefer to keep that stuff faint so you can still see it (at least, on my monitor anyway) but without the noise. However, with better removal of the sky background I might be able to pull out more....

Incredibly good stars for unguided. Well, good stars full stop.

The signal isn't strong, I agree, but I think you have hit the noise limit myself. Good colour.

PixInsight is great for the background sky, by the way.

There are ways to soothe the background sky in PS though. Use the colour select tool to select it and then lower saturation and contrast. Not subtle but if done cautiously it does work to some extent.

Thanks Olly, I will have to try those techniques; trial version of PixInsight downloading...

When you say noise limit, do you mean of the camera? It feels as though the sky is limiting me at the moment (oddly, not the mount!) It was slightly cloudy with a bright moon that night I suppose...

D'ya know Lewis, I could probably do 4 minutes on my rig. There'd be loadsa tracking errors of course, but you wouldn't be able to see them cos all the subs would be white!

Perhaps 4 mins was overkill this time! You captured just as much as I did with your 2min exposures.

As for the tracking, I think I really lucked out with this mount!:glasses1: I believe it was MartinB who originally recommended I look for one of these second-hand; so thanks Martin!

Archived