Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Overseas telescopes

I have a couple of strange question's.

Like most people on here I've been looking at scopes on the web and we seem to pay more for our scopes than other countries.

My first question is, can we get a scope shipped into the UK and will it work the same? I would assume that if you buy a none motorised/none goto scope everything is the same.

My second question is, can we get a goto scope shipped into the UK and will the goto work?

I have family which live in the USA and could get one shipped across cheaply.

Thanks for your help

Shep

Telescopes are the same the world over. It is not impossible to import a telescope to the UK, although some USA dealers may not be allowed to do it by the manufacturers. The cost of importing a telescope from outside the EU into the UK may, however, make it expensive once VAT and import duties are paid. There is also the problem of the warranty. If anything goes wrong with the telescope you may be on your own.

Peter

When you realise that the duty is calculated not just on the value of the scope but also on freight costs plus the insurance, it very soon mounts up - sadly. Just to extend Peter's point, the problem with the warranty (even if it were to be acknowledged) would mean that you would have to cover the cost of sending it both ways to be fixed!

I would only think of importing if the scope was one that you could not normally obtain here or in europe, perhaps like a large D&G refractor. One alternative would be to perhaps make enquiries regarding a scope from a european supplier?

James

It may be possible to get it shipped over if you have family in the US. However, shipping can be expensive. You want to make sure you're not paying it twice (i.e. shipping to your relatives and then shipping to you in the UK). Orion in the US often does free shipping. Also, your relatives may live near to one of the big suppliers and could go pick one up for you.

Gday everyone, i was actualy going to start my own thread about this, it's so frustrating seeing scopes for $700-$1000 online only to find out it'll cost me almost double that, i wouldve thought with the strong Aussie dollar we'd be getting a better deal.

Thanks for the info. Its given me some things to think about like does a telescope break often? Ive had things shipped from the USA before and a lot of the cost is about how its sent. If its sent as a present you dont pay as much to get it shipped in. Expensive present though!!!

Thanks for the info. Its given me some things to think about like does a telescope break often? Ive had things shipped from the USA before and a lot of the cost is about how its sent. If its sent as a present you dont pay as much to get it shipped in. Expensive present though!!!

Manual scopes like dobsonians are dead reliable. Modern GOTO mounts though are full of very smart technology and have certainly been known to have problems. You would certainly want dealer / manufacturer support if you have a technology issue - they are not DIY fixable !.

Archived