Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M81 & M82

namreg

Hi guys

Got up at 3.20 this morning to do this! :)

First attempt at these. Believe it or not found them in about two minutes using the setting circle on my EQ5. Didn't expect to do that!

Could do with considerably more red in M82, but will probably need longer exposures for that. For the time being I'll just have to make do with this! ;)

EDIT: Reprocessed.

200P, EQ5, 48 x 60 secs unguided

Full spectrum Nikon D70

20 each darks, flats and bias

DSS and CS5

post-21238-133877532422_thumb.jpg

post-21238-133877535346_thumb.jpg

Nice pic :)

I have still to see either of these as clouds always seem to roll in when they move into an unobscured position for me. Hoping it will be as easy for me to find them when I get a clear night though!

Thanks Luke. I suspect I may get slightly more than 60 secs if I can overcome my nerves! I only had to dump two subs. I recently overhauled the mount (re-greasing etc) and I think it's made a difference. Previously I would have had to dump probably 25% of the subs at 1000mm due to tracking errors.

I'll try 61 secs next time :)

Hi Doug,

Nice image! Funnily enough, I've just imaged this pair myself, also with a D70! Mine's unmodified though so the comparison will be interesting...

I used longer subs, yet you seem to have captured just as much detail as me.

I used longer subs, yet you seem to have captured just as much detail as me

Ah. That's modding the D70 that does that Lewis. Shame it's not yours! :)

Seriously, there probably won't be a huge difference. The red in M82 doesn't exactly jump down your throat.

Thanks Kevin. Next time I have a go at this I'm going to have a go at slightly longer subs. Might have to ditch a few but hopefully I'll get more out of M82. Pig to process. I'm on my nth iteration here and still not happy! Maybe I should go to bed. :)

I've reprocessed this image. I think this is better. Background is smoother, both galaxies are better defined, and the stars don't have black donuts. Processing this has been a real learning exercise for me! :)

post-21238-133877535355_thumb.jpg

Archived