Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

No markings on scope

I have been looking at a scope for sale on the web (used) but the seller cannot remember the make and there are no makers marks on it .Now are there any makes people know of that are bare or is it likely to be a cheapo jobbie ? it is a 6" reflector with a decent looking tripod and its a 9mm eyepiece with a telrad reflex sighting scope .

Does it sound any good ?

any advice appreciated

It looks like a cheap Chinese scope and will proabaly be of questionable optical quality. The Telrad is the best bit of the system but not a good reason to buy. Just my thoughts though and others may have differing views!

It looks like a cheap Chinese scope and will proabaly be of questionable optical quality. The Telrad is the best bit of the system but not a good reason to buy. Just my thoughts though and others may have differing views!

I agree 100%.

Didn't know that Stevenage had moved to Lancashire :)

Leave it wozza, you will regret it. Wait until you can get a "known" brand. The optics are probably poor, with the mirror being concave and not a decent figured mirror.

If there are no details there is no way of evaluating it - why take the chance? No decent scope will be produced with no makings, so if they were once on the tube why have they been removed? If it was to respray the tube again ask yourself, is this to hide damage, was everything put back together properly?

I don't want to be too negative but I would advise that you look at something else, you usually get what you pay for!

James

Well I said on another thread on a similar subject its best to hide behind the sofa and hope it goes away. For this one I would put the lights out, turn off the television and pretend I am out and hope the seller takes it somewhere else - preferable to the nearest landfilll rather than saddling some poor beginner with it.

can you measure the length and diameter of the tube? from the photos it looks like a 114/1000 compact telescope (if it has a barlow lens inside the focuser) or a 114/500 (without the barlow lens) something like this TELESCOPE SUPPLIERS - SKY-WATCHER TELESCOPE

i wouldn't recommend it as a first scope because the optics are not that good. i have also one from skywatcher (it was my first scope and within a year i upgraded to a dob 8'') and i only use it as a grab 'n' go scope

Wozza,

Bit hard to advise you on what would be an ideal scope as everyone has different tastes. Having gone through the process recently can I suggest a bit of feedback so guys here can make suggestions

1) - how much do you have to spend

2) - how good is the observing conditions where you live

3) - do you want something that is very portable or are you only going to observe from your garden

4) - do you have any preferences.. driven scope, goto etc

5) - do you want to do basic astro-photography or visual observing

One final bit of advice... do your research and don't rush into anything

Thanks again guys ,i do have transport but seeing as it seems the field outside my house will be a good spotting site i won't need to travel which also means i'm not bothered if the scope is ultra portable ,i have no preference on goto etc but wouldn't mind being able to get images on my pc so the family can see as well ,as for price i think this will be the problem as it needs to be as cheap as possible which is why i have been looking at used ones on ebay

Any thoughts on the Meade DS -2114ATS ?

Archived