Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The witch

prokyon

Hi folks,

IC 2118 is one of my favorite objects. But so difficult. Deep in the south and there are so many geostationary satellites.

I made some frames in December. But I am still processing... :) .

A lot of dust and nebulas in the area. I checked it out, the different colours in the background are real.

http://www.prokyon.startime.at/Bilder/Witchheadnebula_LRGB_1000pix.jpg

done with the Moravian G2-8300 and Canon EF 200. LRGB

Cheers

Werner

Oh yes!!! That is a stunning picture and, yes, the colours are certainly real. If you look at an Ha Orion you see that the Witch is embedded, visually at least, in the western arc of Barnard's Loop. Peter Shah showed the strong Ha background in his last image with his AO8.

While here a couple of weeks back a guest was also persucuted by satellites while shooting in southern Monoceros, next door. It is a nuisance.

Olly

Hi Werner, or anyone else who can help,

I have Stellarium-xl, Star Walk and Redshift on my iPad but none can show me where or represent The Witch nebula. Stellarium shows it is IC2118 and a rough direction but I have no representation of it on any of these software packages. Am I doing something wrong or should I be using some other software?

I was trying to check as I would like to try and look for myself if that is possible once I get my kit set up properly. Oh and the clouds clear off!

Best regards

Chris

Hi Michael,

Many thanks for your suggestion.

The best that I can get is this from Stellarium on the computer:

WitchHeadNebulaLocation.png

General direction but that is about it.

What concerns me - for future attempted viewing - is why have all three packages not show it. Is it too far away for a normal hobbyist scope?

Best regards

Chris

Archived