NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion and Friends

This is the fourth attempt to get some kind of reasonable result from data from two weeks ago! I've never had such a tough time processing an image. Difficulty was due to harsh vignetting from the lens on one corner and skyglow from the other corner.

Anyway, capture was simple enough - piggybacked my 450D on the HEQ5, and let it run while I did some observing. :)

As such I'm very pleased with the result, but I know that with some extra skill and processing power there's much more in the data. If anyone fancies having a go, I'll be very interested to see what you can do with it. ;)

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=952&g2_serialNumber=2

Details:

Camera: Modified 450D with 17-70mm Sigma lens at 17mm

Equipment: HEQ5 mount and ball/socket head, CLS clip filter

Exposure: 27x180 seconds at f/4, ISO 800

Processing: Stacked in DSS, post processed in CS3

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

1. I selected the main areas of nebulosity and then inverted the selection to select everything but the nebulous regions and ran Gradient Xterminator on the image.

2. I produced a duplicate layer and enhanced the saturation.

3. I copied this layer to a new file, converted it to LAB mode and increased the contrast of the 'a' channel - this boosts just the red areas and then copied this image back on top of the original.

4. I duplicated this top layer and ran Noise Ninja on it to smooth the background a little and then adjusted the opacity of this final layer to about 75% to get some 'noise' back to ensure the detail remained.

Thanks Stewart, yes I was quite astonished at how much little nebulae and clusters pop up everywhere. On the full res I have totted up 48 DSOs!

Hi Andrew,

1. I selected the main areas of nebulosity and then inverted the selection to select everything but the nebulous regions and ran Gradient Xterminator on the image.

2. I produced a duplicate layer and enhanced the saturation.

3. I copied this layer to a new file, converted it to LAB mode and increased the contrast of the 'a' channel - this boosts just the red areas and then copied this image back on top of the original.

4. I duplicated this top layer and ran Noise Ninja on it to smooth the background a little and then adjusted the opacity of this final layer to about 75% to get some 'noise' back to ensure the detail remained.

Hi Steve, I've never even heard of most of the functions you've used, except GradXT, which I can't really afford ATM...

Are there tutorials for these kind of things available on the web somewhere?

Cheers

Andrew

Archived