Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

finder or telrad?

also is there any issues with the single vain secondary holder?Its well built :)

My "grab n go" is an OO 6" F4. It has the thick (6mm) single

vane secondary support, that a lot of earlier OO scopes had.

Theoretically it will degrade the view more than a thin vane

spider, but for a long time I've been very pleased with the

performance of this scope which OO sold and advertised as

a very portable deep sky scope. It's surprisingly good on

planets, but needs good eyepieces, just like any fast instrument.

The single vane support is very solid, holds secondary collimation

well.

An 8" F4.4 is a nice portable scope with a decent aperture.

Regards, Ed.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can get nice telrad maps online for free and make your own using cartes du ciel.

I've just bought a telrad but I didn't know that cartes du ciel has that function. I had a play around with it (cartes) last night and worked out how to place the eyepiece rings on the constellation maps. Next time I'm out hunting I've really got no excuse for failure now!

Cheers :)

My first time out under dark skies with a telrad and finder I found I used the optical finder way more than the telrad. I found the problem was that the view through the telrad was darkened and restricted the view of some fainter stars. Most rdf lenses have multi coatings but the telrads are plain glass. With a straight through optical finder one eye is on the sky roughly where you need to be while the other eye is lining up the finder where your other eye is looking. Once lined up a small search with the finder usually finds the object. Although I can understand the advantages of having both for those hard to find objects using telrad maps but personally I find the optical finder much more useful.

I've just bought a telrad but I didn't know that cartes du ciel has that function. I had a play around with it (cartes) last night and worked out how to place the eyepiece rings on the constellation maps. Next time I'm out hunting I've really got no excuse for failure now!

Cheers :)

Yeah it's really nice. To set it up, right click the telrad target button on the task bar. Then check the 3 first option and click "ok".

Then right click the map and choose "New Finder Circle" from the context menu. Place it where you want it to be with a left click. Repeat to add as many as you like. ;)

Gary

I think your mount is a little under rated for the 8 inch eq5 upwards i think for an 8 inch scope i have a rigel quick finder new as i have said to you. I offered the 6 inch f/5 which would have worked a treat on your eq3 and the scope probably has far more superior optics than the older one you have bought but in astronomy you live and learn i suppose. If you don`t manage to get a telrad then the offer for the rigel still stands.

Andy

Thanks andrew for the offer i was going to have it but the telrad came up at the same time Sorry ;)

Im sure the scope you have is superb and i would of had it if you could of taken paypal,all scope funds tied up in there where no other half is likely to dip into it;) But i only paid £100 for it so im happy :)

Yes the mount is underated but for now it will do,its a short tube and balanced well its not that bad to be honest,but bigger better stuff to come,second hand obviously....

SHANE

Missed it by about 30mins,would of had it,or did you buy it ;)

NGC 1502

Does the single vein have any adverse affects on planets?

CHeers all..oh is there a particular place to have the telrad,ok i know i got to look through it but where in gernal do they get put,i would of though just above the finder towards the top.

Cheers All

SHANE

Missed it by about 30mins,would of had it,or did you buy it :)

not this time ;) - bad luck mate.

CHeers all..oh is there a particular place to have the telrad,ok i know i got to look through it but where in gernal do they get put,i would of though just above the finder towards the top.

personally I have it as high up the tube as I can and just 'the other side' of the focuser from where you view. mine just fit between the focuser and the optical finder.

Cheers All

see above.

Archived