Damn you Jupiter!

Hi everyone,

I am having a little trouble viewing Jupiter, all I can seem to see is a featurless white disk, although I can make out several points of light that appear to be the moons. Can anyone shed some light on what might be the issue as I have tried different magnifications and also used my GSO 2.5x barlow. My setup is as follows:

Celestron 102mm F5 wide view refractor, horizon 8115 tripod, GSO barlow, 6.5, 10, 16.5, 25, 32mm plossl's.

Thanks and sorry for being such a newbie!

Hiya Andy, I would say your scope being f5 is the main problem. Its fine for observing big objects in the sky like the double cluster, Andromeda etc, but for planetary viewing a long scope of at least f10 would show the detail your looking for. Bumping up the magnification does not really help I am afraid.

it can be quite tricky to make out detail on Jupiter as it sinks into the westward horizon not long after dusk nowadays. make sure your mag is not too high - try the 10 and the 6.5 unbarlowed. a combination of cheap e/ps plus cheap barlow is not going to be great and Jupiter tends not to need too high mag. you should at least see a couple of faint bands but be patient.

If you use your 2.5X barlow it will help narrow the cone of the optical path, used with the 10x should give you about 127 mag, or the 16.5X which will give 77 mag, better quality eps and a Tal or Celestron Ultima barlow may help to improve matters, however, if the planets are of particular interest, then a scope with a long focal length should be considered, after all which has been said the seeing may not have helped the situation, you may want to review the matter on a night of good clarity.

Hi,

I was viewing Jupiter for the first time last night. The first view I had was exactly as you describe at 30x then at 75x. But I found that by getting the focus as near spot on as I could and then looking at the disc for some time detail tended to come and go. Some times there was just a slight difference in shading and then all of a sudden I saw definite bands of shading. This lasted for a few seconds and then disappeared.

I would guess that the above happens as the air momentarily stills and then shimmers again.

BTW I clearly saw the four main moons, which were visible all the time.

Better luck next time.

Thanks Wobbly Bob, looks like I may go looking for a newtonian...

If you go the Newtonian route, then may I suggest a Dobsonian, WHY ! well you get the biggest bang for your bucks (cheapish appature) plus they form a very stable platform (unlike cheap EQ and ALT AZ mounts on flimsy legs, very wobbly and unstable) they are very easy to set up, place base on desired observing plot then place OTA on base, DONE. One of the problems with a newtonian on an EQ mount is the meridian flip, once the flip is completed one has to release the tube rings to get the focusser back to the viewing position.

If in the future you want to tackle imaging, the priority IMHO is a good solid mount which will accomadate most scopes (EQ5/ EQ6) for instance.

Before rushing out and buying a new 'scope I would try again on a different night. Last night the sky looked clear enough but I couldn't really distinguish and detail on Jupiter, but have clearly seen detail with my f/5 6" Newt before.

Thanks so much for all of your comments and help, I will stick with it and let you all know how it goes. I have seen other posts re my scope and they suggest that although only a short focal length, that it is a capable refractor so I'm sure I've probably just been unlucky... Still I could upgrade my 10mm eyepiece... TMB?

Just come in from a photography session and grabbed a look at Jupiter just before I packed up. It was very low and looked just as you described in your initial post. Very white with little detail visible. I'm sure it's an atmosphere problem as has been suggested. The attached pic is a screen grab from a movie I took on a webcam attached to the camera. Even with the exposure dialled all the way down it's still just white. In the actual movie I can see it pulsating and shimmering in the viewfinder with little or no detail showing.

post-23650-133877529934_thumb.jpg

Yep that's very similar to what I was seeing so guess I just missed the boat on Jupiter then, thanks for all of your help and this really is a great forum! Am just waiting for a clean night and will check what looks good with Stellarium.

Cheers everyone!

Archived