Red Lights for my Motorhome

We go to dark sites to get as far away from light as possible. Even a bright red light will ruin night vision in a fraction of a second.

We use red torches to read star maps etc as this is the least harmful colour. Even torches get turned off when they do not need to be on.

I'm just concerned that your going to go to all the expense of buying 5 metres of "12v LED Strip Light with 300 superbright LED's" when all you need is a torch with some red acetate over the end.

Ant

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The general idea is that a very low red light won't ruin dark adaption. But I've been told off before for having a red head light that was too bright around imaging gear and observers, and also for lighting cigs lol (I was very green once).

So low red is minimally acceptable at a good distance from other astronomers and gear.

Don't forget - everyone is there for the pitch black darkness. Ruining it for them is like taking the sea away from a seaside holiday lol :)

Hi Bran,

Sounds sensible and really DON'T want to do it wrong at my first party!

Quite like the sound of these lights with the dimmer. Just hope they can dim enough. I will at least need something in the RV.

Will also buy a couple of the Skywatcher torches which have dimmers on them as well. So at least Claire and Eleanor can move around!

Best regards

Chris

We go to dark sites to get as far away from light as possible. Even a bright red light will ruin night vision in a fraction of a second.

We use red torches to read star maps etc as this is the least harmful colour. Even torches get turned off when they do not need to be on.

I'm just concerned that your going to go to all the expense of buying 5 metres of "12v LED Strip Light with 300 superbright LED's" when all you need is a torch with some red acetate over the end.

Ant

Hi Ant,

The key thing for me is to have lights around the RV awning if I can. As well as lights inside the RV so when we are in there we can at least see to get beer, wine, whisky, food, toilet!!!

Best regards

Chris

Hi Ant,

The key thing for me is to have lights around the RV awning if I can.

The key thing for everyone is to have a pitch dark site. The star party is about all of us doing astronomy if the weather permits.

If I put up an LED ropelight around the entrance to my tent, I'd expect to be lynched, and I'd deserve it.

The key thing for everyone is to have a pitch dark site. The star party is about all of us doing astronomy if the weather permits.

If I put up an LED ropelight around the entrance to my tent, I'd expect to be lynched, and I'd deserve it.

Bloomin heck,

That is an odd way to react. I am only trying to do what is best. As a newbie, have some grace and understanding like others.

No lights, but by heavens if I don't bring any and you don't lynch someone who has I will be very cross!

Too many conflicting stories on this forum of lights, no lights. All a newbie wants is some hard and fast rules. Not hearsay, not YOUR opinion (whoever YOU might be) but FACTS!

Regards

Chris

OK, here's my experience.

I have red LED rope lights in my observatory.

When I'm setting up, they're really useful, but if I need to look through the eyepiece, they have to be turned off as they definately affect my night vision.

When I've had my scope out in a pitch dark site, and have had a while for night vision to get up to speed, I even found the red LED power light to be too bright, and dimmed it right down by using PVC tape over it.

I think the problem with LED's is that if you have them in a direct line of sight, then you have very small, but bright sources.

If you have them behind something, so you don't get the direct source, but only get reflected light, then they're ok.

Chris..... re 'All a newbie wants is some hard and fast rules.'

I think that's fair enough.

Rob.

Here is a direct quote from the starparty guidelines.

I don't think that there's any ambiguity here.....

The lights that really need to be there will be shielded red wherever practical.

You should ensure that you do the same wherever possible after dusk. If it’s clear at all, you should only use dim red light torches, as these do not significantly affect dark adaptation. And if you are using a laptop with your equipment, please shield the screen from others around you (a sheet of red film is ideal for this). Lights in tents should be similarly adapted, as they can shine through tent canvas walls.

Rob.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your explanation and statement fo the guidelines.

You will agree that the useful information form the Starparty Guidelines is a little ambiguous!

However, I take on board what you and others say and would never want to create a problem as already stated. I will probably buy the lights as I need some inside and can turn them off outside. The supplier has told me that when you set them with the remote control and turn them back on again they come on at the set level. He has also confirmed that they are variable down to nothing. So if this is true they will be very useful.

I will also buy as mentioned a couple of torches for the family to move around but only if they have to. I already have a head torch.

Finally can you confirm that the only or best sheet for laptops is the Rubylith one I gave a link to earlier.

Best regards

Chris

I have used both ruby lith and red acetate sheet... the acetate isnt sticky backed like the rubylith I used so I use to "hinge" tape it along the top of the screen and have anohter tab of tape on the bottom to stop it lifting up...

I was given a few meters of adhesive Rubylith before SGL5 great fro led lanterns and torches add layers to dim them if they are too bright...

Billy...

Just a heads up, Maplins sell Red "Lane Marker tape" which is great for covering up things like indicators, puddle lights etc etc that might otherwise come on inadvertently and ruin your night visions, also for sticking over lights on caravans etc. I use it on my awning light and interior car lights. By design it peels off easily and leaves no residue after the event, and being 2" wide it covers up a lot faster than insulation tape.

The best thing is, with decent dark adaptation, you dont even need lights :)

HTH

Tim

Hi Chris.

Those red lights sound like just the thing for my obsevatory TBH....might just order some :)

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob,

If you are in no hurry, take a look when I get to SGL6 as I will be have some there with the remote control.

Best regards

Chris

I think I'll be adding a couple of metres of black cloth to the party shopping list so I can check the real colour of the images I'm capturing onto the laptop. Put the cloth over my head and the laptop, lift the red film from the laptop screen do the check and replace the film. It will be like using old school 10" x 8" field cameras again :)

Hmm might need some red film for the laptop screen.. and the apple badge at the back!

Both the monitor and keyboard can backlight but in the dead of night even that's too bright.

I had forgotten the apple logo at the back. Damn. Mr Jobs my Apple ain't fit for purpose .... have to buy an iPad

Just a heads up, Maplins sell Red "Lane Marker tape" which is great for covering up things like indicators, puddle lights etc etc that might otherwise come on inadvertently and ruin your night visions, also for sticking over lights on caravans etc. I use it on my awning light and interior car lights. By design it peels off easily and leaves no residue after the event, and being 2" wide it covers up a lot faster than insulation tape.

The best thing is, with decent dark adaptation, you dont even need lights :)

HTH

Tim

Just looked it up its:

20110222-q99x747rj8gc7c82sw5fjsgcsh.jpg

OK I have ordered:

3 x Red Strip LED lights with power supplies and dimmers. With a promise from the supplier that the lights can be dimmed to nothing! So good for two inside the RV and one outside. But fully appreciate that the one on the awning may have to be turned off so don't bite me!!

2 x Dual LED dimmable red and white torches

2 x Sheet of Red Rubylith masking film

So with luck between that lot, the family and me will see where we are going!

Regards

Chris

Archived