Deep Sky and 20x80 Binoculars?

Hi all,

At last the Sky was clear, well at least for a few hours tonight.:)

I have a 127 Mak and tried it out on M42 in Orion and it was lovely but I then used my pair of 20x80 Binoculars I have to say the view was spectacular, bright with a wider FOV. I was tempted to get a Dob for deep sky observations but have been impressed with the Binoculars. Do I need a Dob? and just stick with the Mak for Planets? BTW the Mak split Caster nicely with my 8mm Baader Hyperions.

All the best

Ken

I had 20x80s which i loved (until i got 20x100s :)) and as you say they are brilliant for wide views and two eyed viewing is great. I suspect the dob won't beat the mak by much on planets but will beat the bins by miles on fainter dso's. You just won't pick up the less bright galaxies in 20x80s. ymmv of course :)

Hi Ken. I'ts tough giving advice on equipment, as our requirements vary so much.

What you already have is a good combination, Mak for planets/double stars and

some DSO's, binocs for a wider view.

A dob, 6" or over, will show you more for DSOs, but needs more maintenance.

Your Mak may be on a driven mount, is low mainentance, very portable, and

usually sharp optics.

Don't know if you are in a local astro club ? would give you the opportunity to

look through what others have and see how you like it.

Best regards, Ed.

I had a 127 MAK and although a superb scope it didn't float my boat. I always felt the image was too dark and the view some what claustrophobic. My 8" Reflector gives good views on planets and also lets me see a huge range of DSO's even under LP skies. Reflectors are high maintenance requiring collimation and larger ones need balancing regularly (if on a smaller mount) but I find it is all worth it for the views it gives. Plus an 8" dob/reflector will give much better wide field views under dark skies than the MAK. The MAK has it's advantages regards it's sharpness and contrast but if you feel you have been bitten by the DSO bug then although not as portable as the MAK a 6" - 8" dob would be a good investment. S/H ones come up reasonably cheap and some already have mods to improve handling. What ever you decide IMO nothing really touches a pair of binos for there versatility and wide FOV so they are worth keeping hold of.

SPACEBOY

I've not used a DOB, but looking at the other comments it looks like it'll out class the binos but I'm sure that it's much easier to cart around a pair of binos if you need something a bit more portable and quicker to set up.

Cheers

Neil

I have an 8" SCT, and it comprehensively thrashes the 15x70 bins on smaller deep sky objects, and even on M42. It would also beat the Mak127. On the other hand, I have 15x70 bins and they comprehensively beat the 8" when it comes to portability, speed of set up, etc. Buying an 8" reflector by no means implies you wont need the bins.

Can't beat a pair of big bins.

Stunning views.

Andy.

Agree entirely. I've only got "small" bins at the moment 15x70, the 20x90 arrive tomorrow. If it wasn't for the fact that I like imaging, or rather that should be I like to try imaging! I'd be happy to get shot of the scope and keep to bins.

Cheers

Neil

Agree entirely. I've only got "small" bins at the moment 15x70, the 20x90 arrive tomorrow. If it wasn't for the fact that I like imaging, or rather that should be I like to try imaging! I'd be happy to get shot of the scope and keep to bins.

Cheers

Neil

I would not call 15x70s small binoculars;)

Once again, great response from you all. I have decided to add to my kit a Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX Dobsonian purchased today from Steve at First Light Optics and it arrives on Monday (All being well). I just hope I can manage it OK. I understand you can remove the tube from the mount when transporting it in and out of the house or into the car.

Thanks again

Ken

im glad you said that, i got the same scope as you and was debating last night if i should buy some 20x80 binos after seeing how clear orion nebula looked with my 10x50's! cheers for making my mind up! oh and can you advise if 20x80s are good for observing planets? cheers.

I love my 15x70s.

If I could only have one bit of kit, it would be the bins.

Much as I love the 15x70s, the 80mm F/6 beats it for FOV and allows higher magnification. That said, if I were only allowed one instrument, it would still be the C8, and I would use its giant finder scope for wide field. I could even attach the 80mm as guider, if I were feeling extra cunning;)

Once again, great response from you all. I have decided to add to my kit a Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX Dobsonian purchased today from Steve at First Light Optics and it arrives on Monday (All being well). I just hope I can manage it OK. I understand you can remove the tube from the mount when transporting it in and out of the house or into the car.

Thanks again

Ken

Bitten by the DSO bug was an understatement :)

You will find plenty of DSO's with that bit of kit Ken and still have the MAK for sharp views of planets.

A 250PX is reasonably easy to handle but I find I have to put down the back seat in the wifes Astra estate to fit the OTA in.

SPACEBOY

Archived