Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finding Targets

Hi,

Just had first light Here

Found it really tricky locating objects in the finder scope. I knew where I wanted to point, but when I looked in the finder was really confused mainly because there were loads more stars appearing than by eye and I found it difficult to decide where I was.

Hope this makes sense, any advice greatfully received.

Thanks.

Alan.

I found M31 in Andromeda last night, the first DSO for my new scope. It was hard because it's a bit fuzzy and the sky was far from perfect. Starting with the familiar, I followed a route from Betelgeuse to Aldebaren to the Pleiades and then, about half way to Cassiopeia, Mirach. Short hops from there. It was hard to trace the route in the finder so I got my binoculars out and found were it should be, got a hint of something, and scanned the route again. Then I retraced the final steps with the scope, rechecking with the binoculars when I got lost. It took a few attempts but finally, there it was.

So that's my tip, use binoculars to scout the area first.

The question makes perfect sense to me Astro Imp. I still get that "lost in space" feeling sometimes - even using goto and all sorts of finders lol.

If you don't have it start with "Stellarium" - it's free to download and a great tool to help finding stuff. Learn the constellations and their main stars and that will give you a good idea of roughly where to look. Try to remember a small string of brighter objects that you can use to "star hop" to get to your chosen object, starting with a constellation "main" star.

A telrad, red dot finder, or good finderscope all help. It comes with practise so don't worry you'll soon get there :)

Sorry, I have to stick up for the poor finder scope here. Personally I hate red dot finders ... because you can't see anything other than naked eye stars through them which I find a nightmare when trying to star hop to anything but the easiest targets.

I use my finder scope all the time. Keep both eyes open when looking. You can see the target star with the naked eye on one side and in the finder scope on the other. When the two overlap you are on the target star. I liken it to adjusting the width of a pair of binoculars; when it's right, you get a single circle. Get a good star atlas and you can then use all those extra stars to nail down your location and hop to pretty much anywhere.

Rachel

I second the bat. An RDF is OK if there is a bright star close by, but otherwise it only gets you sort-of in the right area. A good finder with erecting diagonal is the best option. This is why I made myself this:

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/123929-16x70mm-finder-prostar-22mm-erfle-illuminated-cross-hair.html

This has allowed me to find all sorts of goodies, such as SN2011b :)(though a 9x50 would be a great step up from most standard finders).

I actually use both RDF and right angle correct image 9x50 finder. They all have strengths and weaknesses. The telrad when used with a star map will show you a direct representation of the star map on the sky within the reticle. Great for large dobs under very dark skies. But I do like my raci best lol :)

I do like that 16x70 - very professionally done!

I find a green laser pointer taped to the top of my scope useful for finding targets. I set up on a bright star. Centre it in my FOV using my 9x50 finderscope. Then line up my laser so that it is dead on target. After that I just point the scope / laser to where the target should be using a star chart.

I actually use both RDF and right angle correct image 9x50 finder. They all have strengths and weaknesses. The telrad when used with a star map will show you a direct representation of the star map on the sky within the reticle. Great for large dobs under very dark skies. But I do like my raci best lol :)

I do like that 16x70 - very professionally done!

I am thinking about swapping the 6x30 finder by an RDF. I use the 6x30 more or less as an RDF at the moment, i.e. to point it at the general area. An RDF would be more comfortable.

Sorry, I have to stick up for the poor finder scope here. Personally I hate red dot finders ... because you can't see anything other than naked eye stars through them which I find a nightmare when trying to star hop to anything but the easiest targets.

I use my finder scope all the time. Keep both eyes open when looking. You can see the target star with the naked eye on one side and in the finder scope on the other. When the two overlap you are on the target star. I liken it to adjusting the width of a pair of binoculars; when it's right, you get a single circle. Get a good star atlas and you can then use all those extra stars to nail down your location and hop to pretty much anywhere.

Rachel

Me too. I have a telrad but can only see stars down to about 3.5 magnitude through it because of light pollution plus my lowest powered eyepiece only has .73 degree field of view making location of objects painful.

My 8 X 40 is ideal as it shows stars down to mag 8 and has 7 degree field of view. I point it at a naked eye star and the finder shows faint stars in patterns I can recognize from a map, enabling pinpoint positioning of the telescope. I can even go straight to a high powered eyepiece from the finder view.

Archived