NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Binoculars

After chatting to a few people and feedback on here, plus hours of internet research, I've finally decided to go for a Skywatcher Explorer 150pl. It seems like there are a few too many compromises with large refractors, especially for planetary viewing. I've alos decided on the longer version of the 150P, as it seems easier and more forgiving to collimate.

#Anyway, this isn't what this question is about, but it is related, because there's no way I can fit the 150pl in the car for camping, I've decided to get some binoculars. Probably the cheapish 15x70mm. I also think these will be usefullf for learnign the skies as well

I was just wondering, do people hand hold? Or would a tripod be an idea?

I usually hand-hold my 15x70s. I have also used them on a tripod, which is more stable, but a tad less comfortable to me. Someone on the forum also gave me the tip of supporting the binoculars (or your elbows) on the roof of a car. You just walk around your car to look at different areas of the sky. Very often I just use a reclining chair.

Hi Nick

I have 15x70s (Revelation from FLO)

They're pretty difficult to hand hold for any length of time due to the magnification. For me anyway. Ok hand held for a quick look. Otherwise they go on the tripod.

Cheers

Rich

I've been hand holding my 15x70's, but it's not great. Despite trying various ways of holding them, stars still just dance around, making any sort of serious observing a nightmare.

I will be buying a tripod in the very near future.

I have some 8X56 Bino's and use them without a tripod. However after an extended period of time my arms do start to tire and the viewing definitly becomes more wobbly. I'd invest in a tripod, or since you will be camping, make use of a camping chair using the arms as rests, this works a treat.

The 15x70 Revelations are a bargain. However they're a bit shaky hand held.

I use a pair of Helios 7x50 binoculars, these are easy to hold still and give great views.

You don't need huge magnifications to see dsos.

I take the delightfully compact and excellent 130p Heritage in the car on holiday.

To minimize shake, try to hold the glasses at the objective end rather than the middle. Personally I prefer 10x50 size for ease of use and I can keep them hanging round the neck.

The tripod would seem to be the answer to maintain stability of larger binos but it depends what you get. Most camera tripods are too short and the typical pan and tilt head will not allow you to see very high elevations and certainly not near the zenith. There was a thread here a few days ago regarding guys who are tall and what binocular tripod/mount would help them and there were some good suggestions - I'll see if I can find it.

James

I bought a pair of much heavier Helios Apollo 15x70s as my 'holiday scope' - same space problem as you. I use them with a monopod and ball joint head. it's a great set-up for me but can be tricky to hand over to someone else compared with eg a tripod. for me a tripod would get in the way unless you use it at low angles and / or with a P mount.

I am tall (6'4") and use a basic camera tripod with my 15x70 but as stated its awkward for direct above viewing, so as I mainly view in my back garden I simply place it on the wooden picnic bench we have and then adjust it back down to suit me...

I also find converting it to a makeshift monpod works well too (fully close up two legs and fully extend a third and just rest it on the one leg)

Archived