NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Syntrack help

DST should set to off until BST starts at the end of March. The handset requires the latitude and longitude in the format of degrees and minutes. Longitude can be any number between 0 and 180, the inputted form for your location is 000 degrees 34 minutes west. Also check that you have put the latitude in correctly. This Latitude and longitude finder should help you. Type your location into the search box on the right hand side of the screen and the press go. The map will then centre on that location. The latitude and longitude of the centre of the map are shown below the map in degrees and minutes and in decimal format.

Peter

Thanks for the help.. Went out and tried again and got it roughly aligned :-)

It's weird though it won't accept the coordinates properly .. Will explain when I come back in .. Clear skies here so making the most

Cheers all :-)

Thanks for the help.. Went out and tried again and got it roughly aligned :-)

It's weird though it won't accept the coordinates properly .. Will explain when I come back in .. Clear skies here so making the most

Cheers all :-)

I am not sure what you mean by that. I think all goto systems use the degree/minute format for latitude/longitude input.

Peter

Put it this way .. Lets assume I am here

51.61695068850444, -0.619354248046875

000.61E 51.61N on the synscan would be correct ?

Well it would not let me put it in like that.. I had to use something like

000.61E 51.00N

Make sense ? I tried and tried just would not let me proceed to the next step.

Also once aligned, how do you re align again ?

Cheers

Your theoretical coordinate works out as approximately 51' 37" N 000' 37" W. the synscan handset does not require the seconds. Map coordinates are are normally expressed in degrees, minutes and seconds. Longitude is a number between 0 and not higher than 180. Minutes and seconds can be no higher than 59. (watch Close Encounters of the Third Kind). The synscan handset will not accept a minutes value higher than 59. A negative longitude value as a decimal means that it is west of the Greenwich meridian and a negative latitude number is south of the equator.

Peter

I am having a very similar problem and sorry I still do not get it. My co ordiantes according to the lat/long finder are below. How would that be entered into my handset.

Latitude = 52.8478, Longitude = -1.4008

Lat = 52 degrees, 50.9 minutes North

Long = 1 degrees, 24.1 minutes West

Regards

Tony:hello2:

Another way too look at it is this..

Lat 52.8478

Divide 8478 by 166 = 51 (rounded down ) Therefore 52.51

Thats the calculation if you want to convert it from co ordinates that GPS/ Phones show etc.

Hope I have not confused you with that ( took me a while to understand it )

Great thanks for the help. I have enough info now to get the handset working,just for clarification,in the equation below-

Divide 8478 by 166 = 51 (rounded down ) Therefore 52.51.

where is the 166 number from.

Sorry to be a pain.

Regards

Tony

I worked it out .. it was a random equation of 10000/60 as most lat longs I was getting was 51.XXXXX i.e. 10,000 then divided that by 60 ( minutes )

Like I said, dont take that as 100% as I only realised all this the other day after struggling to enger it into my synscan.

That equation on all examples I have used ( about 10 ) seem to work out perfectly every time :)

• 1 year later...

I've found a lot of useful info on this site and thought I would say a quick thanks! I started setting up an SW Exp 150p yesterday evening, but a combination of coordinates and clouds put and end to activities.

With your help, I'm on the right path :icon_scratch:

Also, the date format is entered as mm/dd/yy not dd/mm/yy!

Good one Glider! :icon_scratch: I'm a former Yank and that one still gets me - I got all set up one night and selected my object only to see the front of the scope start travelling towards the floor har har!

Shame there aren't regional settings in the Synscan.

David

Do it as it should be:

Latitude = 52.8478, Longitude = -1.4008

That is 0.8478 of a degree, as a degree is 60 minutes that is simply 0.8478*60 minutes. (50.8 minutes)

Same for the 0.4008, that is 0.4008*60 (24 minutes).

Seems silly to divide by 166 when you can multiply by 60 much easier. Simple to do in your head really.

Good one Glider! :icon_scratch: I'm a former Yank and that one still gets me - I got all set up one night and selected my object only to see the front of the scope start travelling towards the floor har har!

Shame there aren't regional settings in the Synscan.

David

There may not be regional settings but you can save your coordinates into an observing site if you use the same location. This saves having to enter them every time.

Archived