Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dark Skies near Cambridge?

Donkeiller

I have finally taken the plunge and bought myself a 'scope and mount which I am really enjoying.;) Unfortunately I am limited in what I can observe to the Southern sky thanks to surrounding houses and streetlights (I live in central Cambridge).

I have been looking for an unobstructed "dark site" near Cambridge (ideally 15 mins by car) with no success:confused:. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Don Keiller

I think if you live in central Cambridge then if you travel 15 minutes in a car you'll still be in Cambridge!

TBH, Cambridge is a fairly large city so you might have to travel a bit further, If you want southern views then I guess the best direction to go would be south so Cambridge is to the north of you.

Tony..

I think if you live in central Cambridge then if you travel 15 minutes in a car you'll still be in Cambridge!

I spend a fair amount of time in Cambridge. 15 mins of driving and you may be lucky to have moved 400 yards, most of the time!

I've not tried this, but I'd head south towards Grantchester - there's plenty of fen type land, not too much housing immediately south. If you go past Hauxton & Harston, there are not too many villages until Royston, although I can't vouch for suitable sites that are open to the public. Also might be worth investing in a decent LP filter.

d

I can see all ursa minor stars (just) from my garden in north cambridge, I am in the process of moving to Hardwick (20 mins away) and from my new garden i could see stars between the ursa minor stars ;) so out to the west could be a good place to start :p

I travel to little Paxton to get my true dark skies With a local astro group

Hm, the pits are alright but you've got paxton, St. Neots and the A1 to contend with, they're far from 'true' dark. If the group found somewhere up near Toseland or further up towards the Offords it'd offer much darker skies.

Tony..

Don't get me wrong, they're a darn sight better than where I live (not far from St. Neots station) but even Kelling has significant domes of LP! It's a shame though isn't it? I keep thinking that somewhere out in the middle of the fens would be ideal for a SP. Very little LP in places and hardly any obstructions ;).

Tony..

There is a golf course between Orwell and Meldrith that is dark. If I recall the approach is a run off the road then into the car park. Suspect that you could observe from the first bit off the road as it is not (I think) part of the club and isn't car park. Not sure what else is along that road.

Basically A603, turn left into Orwell, drive just about through it and take the road on the right when almost out of Orwell.

Another could be the RSPB reserve at Fowlmere. There is a car park there but it has trees around it. The road into the reserve/car park is probably a better option. Also from the road in the whole area is flat. So a low horizon.

Along the Fulbourn-Balsham road also looks fair.

Suggest a map and a drive round looking for prospective places as the best idea (google maps/satallite view?). A layby isn't really adaquate, you need something better and set back a little. You may have to go for a 30 minute drive as 15 is sort of start car, check bits, drive 5 mile and stop.

Archived