SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

can i leave it outside

Does a scope really need to be outside for 40 minutes before use?

Yes and no. It depends on the scope and what you are looking at.

The bigger the scope the longer it needs to cool down. SCTs and Maks take longer to cool down too because of their corrector plates.

If you are using high magnification, you will see the effects of lack of cooling more obviously. Apparently low-power, wide-field views suffer less.

Thats a good point by Valleyman, also keep the scope pointing down while the caps/covers are off so if any moisture that has formed runs of the mirrors and out the OTA

Ah...there goes my broken logic. I always assumed I should leave it pointing up, because warmer air carrying the moisture would travel upwards, and could escape...obviously not if there is lots of moisture...

Ah...there goes my broken logic. I always assumed I should leave it pointing up, because warmer air carrying the moisture would travel upwards, and could escape...obviously not if there is lots of moisture...

The air leaving the scope will be cold (the scope's coming from outside, after all). So down for both drips and air currents.

Remember to leave the covers of once you come in to allow and dew/codensation to dry out. Then replace the end caps after about 10 hours.

never thought of that - thanks - If leaving your scope outside for a couple of hours to continue viewing later, should you put the caps on? will this help with condensation?

The air leaving the scope will be cold (the scope's coming from outside, after all). So down for both drips and air currents.

Of course...you see, thats what I have to fight against every day. Not just the case that I have no logic, where a person may come to recognise that and ask other people for help, but having logic which simply always comes up with the wrong answer. Its tiring.

Thanks.

Archived