Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Plugs and Sockets - 12v ONLY!!

On another thread the subject came up as to whether the usual "12v cigar plug and socket" was actually the best way to connect our equipment. Quite a few folk have said that there are reliability problems and that many "cigar" type fittings are not all that "weatherproof" for outdoor use. Some (I have a few!!) seem to be very poorly made and I am loathe to use them!

Whatever the solution the fittings must be incompatible with "normal" square pin mains fittings - for obvious reasons!!

How about the use of "5A round pin" (see photo's) for the observatory? A selection of sockets on a battery box and plugs on various bits of kit? They could be wired "live & neutral" with the earth left free?

There are many other types if you Google around a bit so:

What options are there for connecting our 12v electrical kit together?

Do we have any electrician wizards who could explain the pro's and cons of the various types? Over to you....

post-17157-133877522455_thumb.jpg

post-17157-133877522456_thumb.jpg

post-17157-133877522457_thumb.jpg

post-17157-133877522458_thumb.jpg

I dont see any problem with using them, just make sure you dont use a normal 13amp plug as it would be a bit too easy to plug a 12v device into your 240v mains, and you dont want to do that!

I shopped on Ebay for marine 12v plugs/sockets and got some with a waterproof cap on them.

Actually those round pin plugs and sockets are not a bad idea if you wanted a permanent 12v pluggable supply in the observatory or even better the US style 2 pin plug and socket (do they still use 2 pin in the US?)

The best option that I have found and the one I use in my observatory are the two flat pin plugs and sockets used in Caravans and designed for just that purpose. There are two different types but these are the type I prefer .

The other type and the newer design are these ones but as I have been caravanning for yonks, I have got a whole raft of 12v accessories so I still standardise on the older design.

Bizibilder, is that your boat in your profile photo, just wondered as there you have your answer, well to me anyway :D . I use boat electrical sockets all the way in my observatory for 12v supply, waterproof and can only be inserted the correct way, also they screw in and therefore secure. For instance with my GoTo electrics I have two leads, one for the 240v supply and another for the 12v supply with a plug as mentioned above, the same goes for all my other leads.

Jim

just make sure you dont use a normal 13amp plug as it would be a bit too easy to plug a 12v device into your 240v mains, and you dont want to do that!

That's why I wire with no connection on the "live" terminal.

Brian - (it was your comments about 12v wiring/plugs etc on the other thread that prompted me to start this one). Why do you not connect the "live and neutral" on plugs that are aleady incompatable with your household mains?

Sailor - No that's not my boat (although I do holiday on it every year - its part of a small hire fleet on the Norfolk Broads). If you would like to donate £50+K (Paypal gift would do!!) I'll get an identical one built - there is only a four year waiting list at the moment!!!!

Archived