Telescope cover

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, I am thinking of buing one of these waterproof covers to keep my sw 150p on eq3 outside, instead of dragging it in and out all the time. but I was wondering if humidity will make any damages particularly to the mount and its motors?

Thanks,

Naeim

I would suggest a bike cover. But wouldn't recommend that you leave your scope outside - at least for extended periods of time. Even wrapped with the cover it's still prone to moisture and might damage your mirrors.

+1 for the bike cover. £2-£3 on fleabay but needs some anchoring as it will fly off if there is any wind.............

+1 for the Greenwitch cover. Very well made, a pretty good price, and a decent size. It manages to just about cover my ten inch solid tube dob inc. base, so eight inches should be no problem. We got our first cover about three years ago, it's still in very good condition and is nice for using indoors as well to keep the dust off.

I found a large BBQ cover works quite well. I've also got a medium motor bike cover which is good. I leave mine out semi-permanently but try and uncover it as often as possible to "breathe". If we're in for really bad (esp windy) weather I bring the OTA in. I also wipe it over every so often with a vaselined cloth and sprayed non optic bits with silicone spray. Not ideal I know, but will have to do till I sort out some sort of obsy. Security is not a big problem here (so far).

Archived