Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece advice sought

Rautospoon

I have recently "picked up" a WO Barlow 2.5x.

Precisely which 2 Televue EP's, would members suggest/recommend I (initially - to "get me going") consider purchasing (for use with a WO Megrez 90) in order to maximise flexibilty (for visual viewing only) with the resultant 4 magnifications available.

Many thanks.

Hi Rautospoon

First off let me say what a nice scope you have. Never used one but it looks beautiful.

You have a 2.5X barlow for a 90mm scope, so i can only go on my experience of a 90mm scope (90EQ). I think most would agree that an EP somewhere in the range of 30-32mm would be a good investment. This would be used mainly to scan the skies for hunting down "faint fuzzies".

Then perhaps something in the range of 10-15mm?

What is your budget ? - Tele Vue eyepieces range from £70 to £700 each - it would help to know where to aim !.

Hi, Probably have a budget (will also try for "second hand") for any except Ethos. I am located in an urban, quite light polluted location. Cheers !

You may have a slight problem with barlowing an long focul length ep, using a 31T5 for example with the barlow will push the eye relief out to point where it can be difficult to use the ep. However it can be overcome with a panoptic-barlow interface see the bottom of the page at this link TeleVue Barlow Lenses

Also have you looked at the Televue ep calculator Tele Vue Optics: Calculator

As for just 2 ep's now that a bit tricky IMO, your going get get a gap whichever way you go. You could go for the 26T5 Nagler and the 7T6 Nagler, these would give you x21, x52, x79 and x197. But as you can see you get a big gap between 79 and 197. Alternatively loose the 26T5 and instead get an 11T6 you would then have x50, x79, x125 and x197 which is a better spread. But you loose the low power widefield view you get with a 26 or 31mm ep. If I had a short tube refractor I would want those low power views too see things like the veil nebula in it's entirety. IMO increase to three ep's, good luck.

My choice would be a 22mm T4 Nagler (because I have one and it's awesome) and a 13mm T6.

That would give x28, x48, x71, x119 - more than enough to go fuzzy hunting. I wouldn't go lower than x28 unless you can get to dark skies.

Lots of options. For me, I'd want a nice low power/wide field to start with, but not

too low, as in our light polluted skies the view can get very washed out. I like Mr

Spocks choice, a Nagler 22mm T4. If you can afford it, the Nagler 12mm T4 would

be great too, they would make a super combination.

Best regards, Ed.

My choice would be a 22mm T4 Nagler (because I have one and it's awesome) and a 13mm T6.

That would give x28, x48, x71, x119 - more than enough to go fuzzy hunting. I wouldn't go lower than x28 unless you can get to dark skies.

Yep - I'd agree with Mr Spock there - two great eyepices :D

• 3 weeks later...

I think (following posting a couple of threads on here and on Cloudy Nights) that I may have come to a decision ! Think I will "go for" (in my WO Megrez 90 FL558 mm) :

Nagler 13 T6 = x43 and (with 2.5x Barlow) x107 and

Nagler 9 T6 = x62 and (wth 2.5x Barlow0 X155.

Will eventually aim to also get "say" a Panoptic 27 (for use without the Barlow) x21, for use under "darker sky' conditions"

Does this set up seem ok and make sense ?

Thanks again for all the help and assistance !

(PS. I wear glasses, but not for observing).

Looks a good choice. I loved the Nagler T6's I used to have - only sold them because I caught the Ethos bug. Personally I'd be looking for something wider than the 27mm Panoptic for really large objects like the Veil nebula, M31 etc.

Looks a good choice. I loved the Nagler T6's I used to have - only sold them because I caught the Ethos bug. Personally I'd be looking for something wider than the 27mm Panoptic for really large objects like the Veil nebula, M31 etc.

Thanks for that.

What would you recommend for "something wider". My only concern is that, as I would only rarely get to even "half decent" dark sky's, it may be wise not to go "to long or wide" , to avoid "wash out"? What , with all your experience, do you think ?

If you have light pollution to contend with (like I do) then you want widest field with some magnification - exactly what the 31mm Nagler was designed to achieve although the 28mm UWAN / Nirvana's, Celestron Axiom LX 31mm or Meade UWA 30mm do it almost as well at a lower cost. These are heavy eyepieces though so may affect the balance of your scope.

Put a 2" UHC filter on and you can see the whole of the Veil nebula !.

Archived