Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Laser Pointers

I was wondering about getting a laser pointer to help when I sometimes manage to get my wife and and/or family & friends to come outside and look at stuff. Not very often but...:)

Are they worth getting and what are the legal implications of using one? There have been several stories in recent years about complete idiots being prosecuted for pointing lasers at police helicopters and drivers etc. so I would be a little wary of using one without thought for where the beam may end up.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've passed the test...

You think people who point them at police helicopters etc are complete idiots and you've shown consideration for the implications of where the beam may end up.

Your green laser licence is in the post. :)

I thought you just couldn't possess one over 1Mw under 18 without parental consent?

That was from memory - this is from Wikipedia (not neccesarily correct but ...)

United Kingdom

UK and most of Europe are now harmonized on Class 2 (<1 mW) for General presentation use laser pointers or laser pens. Anything above 1 mW is illegal for sale in the UK (import is unrestricted). Health and Safety regulation insists on use of Class 2 anywhere the public can come in contact with indoor laser light, and the DTI have urged Trading Standards authorities to use their existing powers under the General Product Safety Regulations 2005 to remove lasers above class 2 from the general market [43]

I have a green 20mw one and as long as your are sensible with it and dont point where you shouldn't it should be fine. Before I bought mine I emailed my local council and police to say I was getting one for astronomy use. Never heard back from the council but the poice said it was OK, just dont carry/use it in the street or other public buildings

Apart from looking for moving lights, you should use you hearing too. I heard the MOD loves to fly their helicopter around with no lights on.

It depends if you're near an MoD area that's doing exercises.

Overall it's down to being sensible. Stay legal and identify what you're going to point at before pushing the button.

Just don't bring one to a star party where people are imaging.. you may find you can emit green light when you go to the toilet..

Oh.. RedBull used a Laser projector on MI6... http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2009/red-bull-laser-writing-mi6-message-p1.php

The light beam from a green laser reflect off dust in the air giving you a beam of light into the sky, a bit like a phaser beam in Star Trek. It makes it easier to show people what you are pointing at when you are giving them a tour.

Archived