NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Coolpix 5700

First off feel free to move this to the imaging section if you think it is more appropriate.

Anyway I am getting a loan of a Coolpix 5700 camera with (So the person loaning it) the correct attachments for connecting it to a scope. So......Is it any good for astro pics? He also has the remote control for the bulb setting and after a (quick) google it looks like max exposure is 5 mins and on my EQ5 I think thats pushing it anyway. The thing that I am not sure about is do I need an eyepiece in the scope or just connect the lens to the scope? What objects will I be able to image, any DSO's???? Planets?

I know a Canon 350D would be much better suited but I 'think' I may be able to get this will all the extra's for under £100!

Opionions please :)

Agreed, a DSLR is a better bet but the 5700 is a good camera.

I have a 5400 which is it's little brother and I use it a lot for astronomy stuff.

On mine, I fitted a convertor which fastens the camera to the top of an eyepiece

for projection photography.

I can expose up to 10 minutes with mine so the 5700 could be the same.

Since I got mine, DSLR's have slowly dropped in price so there is little advantage

in buying an ordinary camera new but at that price your getting a good deal. :)

You will have to use an eyepiece, I connect my coolpix 4300 to the eyepiece using a piece of plumbing pipe, pushed on to the lens housing and over the eyepiece,

I set the focus to infinety and full zoom and get the lens and eyepiece almost touching each other, if you have a remote thats a bonus but if you still get shake then hold something black over the front of the scope (not touching) until the lens has opened and settled, a couple of seconds should do it.

M2

Archived