Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My First DSO?

the milster

Been aiming the scope in the direction of Orion Nebular with my new 32mm ep and Barlow and my eye kept getting drawn to a slightly fuzzy patch, at first it looked like there was just one star in the little patch but as the scope settled the one star opened out into a sort of trapezium shape. There's also just above it three stars in a line almost, but not quite, pointing at it.

Am I in the right ball park ?

:)

Yes - that's called the 'trapezium' (unimaginative name but is captures it very well!). I believe they are the stars that energise the bright part of the orion neb. They are a fine sight and it's great you discovered them for yourself. It's actually a cluster that was 'born' by the nebula and 2 more stars are visible but they are often difficult to see.

:) Happy days, wasn't exactly sure what I was supposed to be looking for but like I say my eyes were drawn to it.

Now to get outside for a decent look, been in and out all evening trying to sort the kids out, now they're in bed my eyes might get a chance to acclimatize :)

Congrats Milster - you are bang on it if you saw the trapezium :)

Have a look at Peter Shah's picture of the week on the banner - that's the area you're looking at. Just up from the Orion Nebula is the Running Man nebula, then left over towards Alnitak and you have the Horse Head nebula and the Flame nebula. It's a superb picture and a fascinating area of the sky :)

Just had a look, that's an awesome picture, couldn't make it out at first until I put the laptop on it's side. :)

Looking forward to getting a look without the moon shine now, I think I can locate it pretty easy now, got it a couple more times without too many problems tonight after the first viewing :)

Nice observation. When the moon is no longer so bright, you will actually be able to see two object of the Messier catalog in the field of view: M42, which will appear as a large, spidery shape, and the more compact M43 (just a small round shape). That will be two down, 108 Messier objects to go.

Archived