Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Good cheap laptop for webcam capture

Hi Folks,

As title, I'm looking for a good, cheap laptop for using outside with my scope and would like peoples views on any decent ones. I hear the old IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads are pretty good, if so what model T40, T41 etc. I daren't take my partners outside (too new and she'll kill me!)

Thanks in advance

I use a T40, but they suffer from southbridge chip problems or gpu chip (mines being repaired now) you can pick these up on fleabay for as little as £110 with enough spec to do job but be prepared for the above fault/repair (cost about £70)if they fail, but once repaired good for a long time and great for outdoor use

Samsung are doing some pretty good laptops at the moment. You can get them from about £360 upwards on Amazon. Got my daughter a Samsung last Autumn and she's really pleased with it. Just check for software compatibility with Windows 7

I just love my tiny old toshiba portege 4010 for use outside, some of the later M series ones arent as good but my 4010 running windows 2000 does everything expected and its nice and small/light.

It has one of those bobbles in the middle of the keyboard rather than a touchpad. It suits me but may not suit everyone.

Do consider if you need one with a serial port, if you do that will limit your choices.

my fav for net books at the moment would be the Toshiba NB300 range 7 hour battery and run like rockets! very well built inside..

but i sit here typing on a Samsung Q210 feels a little flimsy and battery life is poor! the netbooks seem to be better made than the notebooks when it comes to samsung at present.

Archived