SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Essex newbie

Dazzio

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would like to know any decent places to look at the sky around our parts? I was thinking that maybe Burnham-on-Crouch area is good? It's always pitch black when I drive there. :)

Dazz

Hi Dazzio, my club www.cpac.org.uk has a dark site not far from

Burnham on Crouch, but its for members only. Our next public

event is on Feb 12th at Hadleigh (link on website)

Cheers, Ed.

Thanks for the places/info bamus and NGC 1502. Pardon my ignorance, but when you say "dark sites" do you just mean an empty field? I looked at the places you suggested bamus, but they look like a farmers back garden/field. The last thing I would want is a farmer taking pot-shots at me with their shotgun while I am trying to look at Saturn. Also I am quite worried about someone coming along trying to steal my pride and joy telescope, you can blame living on Canvey for that one. :D

NGC 1502, I'll lookie at that club website in more detail later. Looks good to me tho, being a noob at this and everything! Well least I can find the moon with my telescope now, just! :o

Thank you for the other warm welcome guys. :)

Dazz

Once again, thank you for the warm welcome people, made me feel welcome :) bamus, I got a telescope from Argos, I can not see any brands on it, it looks okay. It's only an 700x76mm newtonian telescope... I think thats correct? Got myself an Philips SPC900NC and can not wait to play with it :)

ant, yay a fellow member of "the rock", I work in the local Morrisons so chances are we have walked past each other a lot. :)

Would like to know any decent places to look at the sky around our parts? I was thinking that maybe Burnham-on-Crouch area is good? It's always pitch black when I drive there. :o

Dazz

Probably have mate, many many times I would think :( Next time I go there I'll try and remember to wear my SGL T Shirt - if you spot me say hi!

Burnham is fairly dark, the CPAC have a dark site somewhere up on the Dengie peninsular - that's probably about as dark as it gets around here. Although I used to go to Danbury Lakes, it used to be dark!

Enjoy the SPC900 - I have one as well, need any help just shout

Cheers

Ant

Archived