SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Essex newbie

Dazzio

Hello one and all,

Just a hello from a complete newbie from Essex (Canvey Island to be precise but please don't hold it against me :o ). Decided to join up the forum in the hope of getting good advise on a great hobby and just to be nosey :o

A bit about myself? I'm a 27 year old Essex lad, I hate my job (lets be honest most people do!). I've always been interested in Astronomy for as long as I can remember as well as militray aircraft/space flight. My girlfriend bought me a telescope for Christmas and I have been dying to use it. I used it tonight (16th Jan) when I saw a quick break in the clouds and managed to get a picture of the moon on my mobile phone. I will post it if anyone is interested, but they are pants compared to some of the ones I have seen on here.

A quick thing, I had a really quick look at the map of "Where in the world are you?"... apparently the English Channel/Thames (off Southend-on-Sea) is actually called the "North Sea"... who knew? :)

Anyhows, Greetings again. :D

Dazz

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dazz and welcome to SGL :)

We do have a section for "Lunar Imaging". If you'd like to post your pic there, then I am sure you would get lots of comments and advice - some people manage to get amazingly nice shots just holding a phone camera to the eyepiece :D

Once again, thank you for the warm welcome people, made me feel welcome :) bamus, I got a telescope from Argos, I can not see any brands on it, it looks okay. It's only an 700x76mm newtonian telescope... I think thats correct? Got myself an Philips SPC900NC and can not wait to play with it :D

ant, yay a fellow member of "the rock", I work in the local Morrisons so chances are we have walked past each other a lot. :o

Would like to know any decent places to look at the sky around our parts? I was thinking that maybe Burnham-on-Crouch area is good? It's always pitch black when I drive there. :o

Dazz

Archived