Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

1st attempt at orion

I'm guessing it was on a camera tripod ? You'll be down to maybe 2 seconds at 200mm without tracking.

Why wouldn't the lens focus at infinity ? Is it not a Sony lens ? The EXIF data would imply it is as there was electrical connection between the body and lens ? Or do you mean you had really trouble getting it focused ? Does the Sony have liveview ?

i also took the same picture in a RAW file came out a lot better and when i have uploaded it on my computer im using a program called image data converter theres red green blue points of lights any idea what they are

The lack of live view is a right pain, I have the same camera. It's hard to focus through the viewfinder alone, unless the moon is up and then it's probably going to bleach out most of the stars anyway!

I bought a used Minolta F1.7 50mm lens which is great for wide images and excellent for portraits too. You should be able to find one for about £50, if you haven't got one already.

i got a minolta 80mm f.3 got if off fleebay for a fiver i use it to go the beach so my other ones dont get wrecked. the alpha is my first dslr kinda wish i had held out thou for the cannon 1000d but never the less it will do me untill i learn how to control the darn thing. lol

i also took the same picture in a RAW file came out a lot better and when i have uploaded it on my computer im using a program called image data converter theres red green blue points of lights any idea what they are

Since you was shooting in RAW its unlikely that any noise reduction was performed on the image, RAW is just that, RAW! So if you shot on a long exposure, and depending on what ISO setting you had, you may find that the coloured points of light are either

a/ Digital noise from high ISO setting.

b/ hot pixels on the sensor (again,due to high ISO settings)

This isn't always as evident in JPG mode as a lot of DSLR run a clean-up after taking the photo, especially when shooting at those high ISO - personally I only ever shoot in RAW (I don't think I`ve ever used JPG mode on my cameras) as the amount of control it gives one after the shot is incredible - however using RAW is another skillset to learn and probably best avoided for the moment.

Hi Melibum,

Great picture.

I also have some camera lenses that focus past infinity. During the daytime I manually focused on infinity and marked the spot on the lens with masking tape then etched it in later. I would have used a marker, but I couldn`t find one thin enough. For daytime photos you can use hyperfocal distancing, but this is not practical for constellations.

Also, try your 200mm lens on constellations around the celestial pole, as the stars won`t trail quite as quickly.

That is a really nice image. Now if you take 20 of those and stack them in DSS you will see such a vast difference.

i took 10 and stacked them but the end result wasnt quite what i expected there wernt as my stars dont know why this was???

Great pic!

Did you bag any others while you had a clear sky?

All the best,

Alan.

unfortunately no as the moon was out so orion was the only one i managed to get but i will be going back over to spain asap as i have got the bug lol next time with some bigger kit and maybe a scope

Archived