Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

unmoded webcam as guider?

bamus

Recently I have upgraded my eq5 to goto synscan till next Xmas I will not be allowed to spend any big money on my hobby L anyway I would like to try how guiding works . I was thinking of trying to attach my old webcam to SW 9x50 finder. Is unmolded webcam sensitive enough to pick up bright stars. Has anyone tried this before?

Thanks for any replay

Adam

I manage perfectly well with my unmodded SPC880 webcam attached to an ST80 guidescope. It will find stars down to at least mag 6, which is usually sufficient. I've certainly never had a situation where I couldn't find a guide star. Not sure about it fixed to a finder scope, though.

That cam should work. You will have to remove the lense from the camera, to expose the chip. Then adapt it to the finder, with it's rear lense removed.

Once you have done this, play with it during daylight, to focus on a very distant object.

Once you have focus, fine tune the focus on something bright like the moon or jupiter.

It should be quite easy to get PHD to recognise it as a WDM camera, choosing the highest resolution your PC will allow without slowing it down to much.

HTH, shout if you need any other help.

@lukebl - this is interesting, did you remove lens from webcam?

Yes, you fit a standard nosepiece. This is what it looks like with the nosepiece fitted.

lukebl-albums-luke-s-help-images-picture8417-webcam2.jpg

And this is what it looks like fitted to the ST80 (off the mount at the moment as I'm drying off all the condensation which has recently built up). The diagonal could be source of differential flexure, but hasn't caused me any problems.

lukebl-albums-luke-s-help-images-picture8418-webcam1.jpg

I have managed to fit my webcam to SW finder (using Styrofoam and tape :)) and focused it without major problems during daylight. have to wait now for better weather to check if I can pick up any stars

gave a go to my set up with MetaGuide and and have to say that I am impressed. Was struggling to get good focus but still was able to detect few blurry bright stars. Have to work out what kind of attachment will be best to connect web cam to SW finder in order to fine tune focus and detect even fainter stars.

another question - does guider optical line must be close to main scope optical line? reason I am asking is fact that sometimes I think I will struggle to find star bright enough near object I will be photographing, therefore I may have to move around guide scope to find good star. Common sense tell me that it should not make difference, but I am not sure...

...another question - does guider optical line must be close to main scope optical line? ...

No problem. That's the whole point of having the guidescope in rings, so that you can move it around a bit to find a suitable star. Works for me.

success:) I have managed to capture star 6.95 mag (hip17999) with my unmoded Logitech Webcam 120, SW finder and Metaguide. I am bit surprised that field of view is so small, but 6,95 mag is quite good, I think. Now I am waiting for USB to RS 232 adapter and will try some guiding :)

post-22553-13387752303_thumb.jpg

post-22553-133877523035_thumb.jpg

post-22553-13387752304_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived