Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from the west midlands (Halesowen)

sherr03

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just looking at a Celestron OMNI XLT 127. Anyone have any experience with this scope. I want to learn the sky first and then maybe upgrade to a GOTO so this seems a good scope. I dont want a massive one.

Hi Matt, welcome to the SGL forum,

The OMNI XLT 127 received a good review from the S@N mag in the 2007 issue, if this is anything to go by, if you will take some sage old advice, learning the night sky can be achieved with binos as many budding Astronomers will testify, the problem is to hold back on the urge to jump in and buy a scope before you are really ready and have gained some knowledge of the subject, great enjoyment can be had studying the Heavens with bins and star maps, before long you will be in a position to know in which direction you want to expand in the subject and which scope you require to help you achieve this, whether it be deep sky, Planets, Moon, double stars, Astrophotography etc.

John.

Hi Matt, welcome to the SGL forum,

The OMNI XLT 127 received a good review from the S@N mag in the 2007 issue, if this is anything to go by, if you will take some sage old advice, learning the night sky can be achieved with binos as many budding Astronomers will testify, the problem is to hold back on the urge to jump in and buy a scope before you are really ready and have gained some knowledge of the subject, great enjoyment can be had studying the Heavens with bins and star maps, before long you will be in a position to know in which direction you want to expand in the subject and which scope you require to help you achieve this, whether it be deep sky, Planets, Moon, double stars, Astrophotography etc.

John.

Thanks for the advice. I am going to purchase some binos today from FLO as they have a special offer on at the moment and i missed the celestron ones. I have a celestron first scope but its pretty bad and i get really bad eye strain from it. I did see jupiter and its moons from it but they where like small specs. I also found Orion a couple of nights ago but ended up with a massive headache!!

Congrats on your purchase. I'm only up the road from you and on a good night you will be surprised just how much you can see with only a pair of binoculars. Look forward to hearing what you think to the night Sky over the West mid's. Download Stellarium to help navigate whats over head at any given time.

Where you from mate? I have a app on my phone for looking at the stars its really good so what i have been doing is using that and then looking through my cheap scope and finding it.

Hi Matt,

I'm waiting for the classifieds too... :icon_eek:

In the meantime, take a look at U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell. Also worth keeping an eye on Ebay but thoroughly research anything before you buy it and, if you think it is the one for you, check on here (this forum or the Equipment Help forum) - nobody will usurp you and they will help you avoid an expensive mistake...

Good luck!

Archived