NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My first Nebula

bcfcciderhead

After about 4 weeks of not getting out with the scope i could not let tonights clear skies get away, only had about 1.5 hrs due to me forgetting my hat and gloves and with it beening -1 could stick it no longer (wimp i know).

Well Orion was nice and clear so went straight for M42, and boy what a sight i could clearly see the gasses stretching what must be miles it really was a great sight, i can see me buying a filter very soon to bring these out more, next was the Pleiades (M45 i believe) so many bright stars in my 32mm was great, i think this looks just as good if not better with the naked eye, a great cluster, still failed with the Andromeda Galaxy, found the great box of pegasus but no m31, i think the moon was casting to much light in this area for me to find it as the moon was to the left of the box, well thats what i'm saying.

Not a bad quick night viewing and finished of with some views of Jupiter and the moon, also a good test with my Telrad home made dew shield which worked great and also the problem i had with the balance of the ota in the dob mount, a trusty magnet done the trick thanks to you guys:icon_salut:.

I love looking at the Pleiades with my 15x70 bins. The groups is so big and bright - one of the first things I look at when out with my binoculars - cant wait to get my scope in the next few weeks so I can check it out further! I think I have found Andromeda with my bins, but its more of a faint blur that I can see better when its at the periphery of my view in the bins rather than looking directly at it.

Hi Dave, you got good weather you jammy man. Been clear all day then as it was turning dark the cloud rolled over. :evil6: Sounds like you had a good night, nice one. Also happy to hear your DIY dew shield done the job. :) Looks like I better start heading your way for clear skies.

David

Hi Dave, had a bit of cloud at 7pm but it soon went and then nice and clear, made a new dew shield and worked very well, it was a good night if a little short but it was cold -1 or so the car said, also had frost on the ota when packing up!.

You going to Swansea airport this weekend? a public astro meet

I was doing the same on Saturday night and had my first bash at imaging the orion nebula and pleiades. Orion is by far the most beautiful thing i have seen in the sky. :)

I finished off with Andromeda which is a bit disappointing from my light polluted location. I must get a light pollution filter.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply Dave, switched off SGL that night and started doing my accounts. Did not know of the meet in Swansea, doubt if my old 4x4 would get that far and the scope would not fit in the fiesta, looking like time for a new one. Any one have a Audi allroad they could review for me. :)

Archived