NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion & Light Pollution

Carbon Brush

Last night I took these very basic images. Canon 1000D astro modded with an ancient 28mm (appropriately M42) lens. No post processing trickery or whatever. Straight from the camera. On the left is the 'true colour'. On the right is the result of putting an Astronomik CLS filter into the camera.

The only surprise about the LP evident is the location of the lights in the village. The street lights are 50M away on the other side of the house.

Might be interesting to try a repeat of this somewhere with 'urban' levels of LP.

post-18944-133877515958_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone. Thanks for your comments and interest. The EOS clip CLS filter was first on my shopping list after buying the modded camera. It was recommended by the previous owner and has been money well spent.

Astronomik offer this filter in various sizes. Maybe you could put it onto the front of a camera lens? Step rings are quite cheap to help with fit.

David.

I have the Skywatcher LP filter and live in a very urban area (central London) and it does take the edge off the LP in the area, but it really dims the stars too much for visual usage. I normally just take it off since I'd rather see stars with major LP than strain to see stars and have less LP!

I can't comment for SLR usage I'm afraid but webcam work requires much longer exposures.

Archived