how much better will it get?

Just been out using my brothers 60mm celestron scope, as he's letting me use it until I get one of my own.

I found jupiter and could make out the moons but the planet itself still just looked like a tiny bright disc, I also found M42 and could make out what look like three tiny stars in the nebula but the nebula itself was a very faint grey haze. I've been really pleased with my first viewing session and what i could find but I think all the images from hubble etc on the net made me expect a little too much from my brothers scope.

After reading numerous reviews etc etc I've decided on a skywatcher 127 mak with goto (not actually ordered it yet), but my question is how much better will the mak be than the 60mm?

The 127 mak will be a huge step up from your brothers refractor although it still won't deliver views (apart from the moon) like the photo's you see in magazines and on the web.

Our eyes just can't compete with modern ccd and photo processing techology and our atmospheric conditions restrict the maximum magnification that can usefully be used to 200x - 300x even with really big scopes.

But you will notice the 67mm aperture gain on all astro objects you view.

As posted above, you will notice the step up from a 60mm scope to a 127 but the pictures we all see in the magazines and on the telly are mostly taken by big professional scopes, but not all. Some of the guys on here use small but expensive refractors with a DSLR camera and get excellent results

If you are wanting to make a start in astro photography, then why not purchase a philips spc900 webcam and start with the moon and planets then see how you get on and if you want to go further.

You are not the first and certainly won't be the last to be misguided by magazine pictures. You will see some amazing sites but they will be noting like the pics you seen on the web or magazines. Most things you see will be monochrome with only a few objects offering hints of colour. Galaxies will only resemble smudges of light on an other wise dark sky. Details can be made out on planets but the images will only be pea sized. Even though this may seem a bit dull compared to glossy astronomy pictures but what you have to realize is when you take that first proper look at Jupiter and see the great red spot with your own eyes, you are in fact seeing another planet in our solar system that is between 390 to 577 million miles away from us and not just a twinkle of light up in the sky. No magazine picture can ever compensate for the moment that reality hits home. The thing to remember when buying a scope is aperture is often the discerning factor to how much detail you can collect from the sky. In this case bigger is often better.

Welcome.

You should know that deep space objects will look monochrome in any telescope and are often fairly low contrast. The fun of it, however, is finding and seeing these objects yourself and knowing that the light reaching your eye may be millions of years old.

Hi, it's very misleading to have pics of bright , gloriously coloured dsos. Even with my 10" scope you'll end up seeing fuzzies. The nicest things to see are star clusters. Some of these you can see with the naked eye. They can be picked out in 7x50 binoculars.

Download Stellarium and get out there to get used to where the constellations are. Start off with clusters; The 3 in Auriga are easy and beautiful.

I take it all back!!!!!

Just had a play about again and its not even fully dark and i can see cloud bands on Jupiter, wow! :)

My 8 year old son came out to have a look and first words out of his mouth were "i can see lines on it"!!

It would seem we are both hooked, spot of dinner and warmer clothes and back out for another look me thinks.

Dean

That's great to hear Dean. From what you are saying maybe your first attempt the scope wasn't cool enough of the seeing wasn't at its best. My son had a scope for Xmas so we have been doing a bit of farther son bonding. I enjoy that more than the views TBH.

SPACEBOY

I take it all back!!!!!

Just had a play about again and its not even fully dark and i can see cloud bands on Jupiter, wow! :)

My 8 year old son came out to have a look and first words out of his mouth were "i can see lines on it"!!

It would seem we are both hooked, spot of dinner and warmer clothes and back out for another look me thinks.

Dean

Uranus is easy to see at the minute as it's very close to Jupiter. Look in your bins (very easy in 15x70s but should see it in 10x50s too) first and you'll see a blue 'star' about a third of a binocular width away. This is Uranus. If you use your widest (lowest power) eyepiece you might get Uranus and Jupiter in the same view. You should also see it in your finder scope - I saw it in my 6x30mm finder with ease. With a bit of magnification it becomes an obvious greenish disc and unlike a star.

good luck.

Well my second session this evening didn't go too well, a light cloud cover blew over which pretty much halted proceedings.

Spaceboy, I know exactly what you mean about the bonding bit the whole family came out to see Jupiter and it was only my son who stayed, although the hour long question session on space, planets, and astronauts was somewhat demanding considering my lack of knowledge, thankfully my 8 year old can't tell when i'm making stuff up!!!!

ps uranus will be next on my list moonshane.

Spaceboy, I know exactly what you mean about the bonding bit the whole family came out to see Jupiter and it was only my son who stayed, although the hour long question session on space, planets, and astronauts was somewhat demanding considering my lack of knowledge, thankfully my 8 year old can't tell when i'm making stuff up!!!!

LOL :):D I know questions never stop coming! I think TBH he is more interested in spending time with Dad as he only tends to have a quick glimpse in the EP.

Archived