Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

LBN 406 The Laughing Skull Nebula - and PGC 58928 - in Draco

Boren

Hi guys,

Here's an image I shot back in Aug.

This region includes some very faint reflection nebulae, and the first impression that came (to my) mind is one of a laughing skull – hence the adopted name :-)

Also, there's also PGC 58928 – a small galaxy which looks a little like Saturn – at the middle left hand side of the image…

It admittedly needs more exposure time – this includes only 2:10 hours of OCS with the ST8300C – and it was also imaged from a site in the desert, but alas one with rather bad light pollution, and very low. I did some intensity comparisons on similar objects at identical positions in the sky, and it turned out that the difference was more than 50% in favor of our new site, much deeper in the desert.

Anyways, I hope you like it – and any comments are very welcome as always!

Cheers, Harel

:)

post-20443-13387751533_thumb.jpg

Thanks Rob, Lewis!

I am glad you liked it - another horror movie image in the sky :-)

About the look of it - I really don't know. I could find only one other true image of this on the net, so there's not really too much to compare it to.

Next summer I'll have another go on it for a full night of imaging, and I will then be able to tell 100%.

Cheers,

Harel

Archived