Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Transporting Telescope.....

I usually bungee the ota onto the back seat and put the seatbelt on it for safety. The base goes in the boot again bungeed down. If you go long distance you may hear rattling where the car vibrations have loosened the mirror screws and/or locking screws. Stop and do them up a bit but not too tight (don't wanna crack anything going over a bump).

Hope that helps :(

Yeah but you collimate each time, don't you ;-), so that shouldn't matter.

I only have a 5" Dob which i move about 10ft from its storage space to observing space so collimation is a thing i do about every 6 months.

The bigger the scope the more often it should collimated.

Yeah but you collimate each time, don't you ;-), so that shouldn't matter.

I collimate as the need arises.

Foam sleeping mats are useful for isolating vibraiton during transit. I laid 4 mats down in the tub of my Land Rover when I took ny 10" SNT for a 30 mile drive. Collimation was only a tweek out when I came to set it up.

For air travel, my small refractor goes in a rucksack with dewshield removed. For domestic dark-site trips, my 12" flextube goes in the boot of the car uncovered. Just make sure the scope can't roll - I have other gear packed around it to prevent this. I didn't have the problem with my old 8" dob which was lighter, but the first time I took the 12" out and braked at a red light I heard a noise from the boot as it rolled over. Did it no harm and I'd have collimated anyway as soon as I got to the site - but it alarmed me at the time. The 8" used to be taken on the same trip, and I collimated it about twice a year.

Archived