AstroTrac........ alternatives

Obvious one is an EQ mount with motors. Not aware of anything else that is commonly available. Time to go googling.

What equipment are you imaging through?

As you mention an astrotrac is it a camera mounted on to this?

Is so, then possibly an EQ3 with a dovetail to mate camera body and lens to the EQ. The camera will not be heavy so weight should make it an option.

If you need the portability then the astrotrack seams the right option. But if you don't need it to be that portable, then you can get an HEQ5 for about the same price as the astrotrack (with polar scope, tripod and 2 heads) and you'll have a mount you can build on and add a telescope later.

A light weight EQ will be cheaper but will limit your options later on.

EQ3 Pro works rather well... using the polarscope I have managed subs up to 4 mins at 180mm fl unguided (which is just as well as the EQ3 Pro witht he current firmware has "issues")

Comes with the tripod, doesnt need all those essential Astrotrac essentials - the fancy gear heads or wedge...

http://stargazerslounge.com/members-equipment-gallery/102557-new-arrival.html

Still my portable widefield setup but has been replaced with a HEQ5 Syntrek on a pier for home use... I swap the controllers to effectively have a HEQ5 Pro and EQ3 Syntrek which has all the fuuctionality you need for widefield really...

Billy...

Hope the mods don't mind me posting this link but Vixen has an all-in-one photo guider based on the GP2 mount head:

GP2 Photo Guider

In stock in the UK and available to order from FLO :-) As usual with Vixen kit, it is not the cheapest but you do get everything you need except the camera including a carry bag for £699.

Cheers, Pete

Hope the mods don't mind me posting this link but Vixen has an all-in-one photo guider based on the GP2 mount head:

GP2 Photo Guider

In stock in the UK and available to order from FLO :-) As usual with Vixen kit, it is not the cheapest but you do get everything you need except the camera including a carry bag for £699.

Cheers, Pete

That looks good. I'm basically using just the same but a driven EQ5 with ball & socket panhead in place of the dovetail. It's all very portable and easy to setup. I would like to replace the steel tripod with a aluminium one for a lighter setup still. I get no benefit from the steel tripod with only a camera on board.

Total cost of setup - £70 :)

Another SGL member was selling it and i picked it up at SGL Salisbury in August. It wasn't a one off, seen plenty of bargain EQ5/CG5 about with and without drives. The EQ3 would be fine too. And i've seen those with dual drives for £50.

Wait for the Astroboot to start again. Just before it shut for Christmas there was all the bits needed to drive an EQ2. A motor for £5, Orion EQ2 handset for £10 and a battery box for £3. And because that's three items you'll get free delivery, so £18 all in.

GP2 Photo Guider

Cheers, Pete

Shame about the price as that is a tidy looking mount. I'm sure Vixen made something similar years ago as Phillip's Astrophotography by HJP Arnold has one on the cover in the old green livery.

Archived