NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SPC900 LX - wits end!

I have had a SPC900 webcam LX modded for me, very kindly, by a chap who responded to a plea on Astro Buy Sell. He checked it all before sending it and it was fine.

I've tried two different USB to serial converter cables - a really cheap one from Amazon and a much better quality from Astronomiser. Whilst both cables have successfully been added as hardware by my laptop, I cant seem to get anything to work when I attach the webcam to them!

When I've tried SharpCap and other capture programs it just says there is no camera attached to the lappy. I've tried re-booting, re-installing the hardware (both with and without the webcam already attached) but nothing!

Am I missing something obvious?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the Astronomiser serial/usb converter cable - it goes through a hub to the laptop and is recognised by wxAstroCapture for my spc900nc. It all works fine. Is it definitely the spc900 that you have? Or is it a mod'ed 880 from Morgans?

With usb devices I allways install the software drivers first then plug in after.

Here are some piccies of what's inside the box: -

13122010245.jpg

13122010247.jpg

13122010243.jpg

13122010248.jpg

The switch on the left that the black, brown and red wires go to is to change the cam between LX and 'normal' modes. The blue and green connect to the Serial plug, which I then plug into the serial/USB converter.

Does that help you help me at all? :)

NB, the camera is not 'seen' by the lappy in either LX or 'normal' modes - just tells me there is no camera connected when I try SharpCap et al. I have an unmodified SPC900 which works straight off with SharpCap.

The empty 6 pin header is the usb and power connection, I have the usb lead with plug from a modded spc900 in my hand at the moment. That's why the camera isn't being seen by the laptop as you only have the RS232 serial connection i.e the blue/green cable. If you open up your spare 900 you could remove the usb lead from that one and use it

You have to have the USB cable - the serial cable only drives the exposure control and nothing else. It looks like it's all there you just need to get a cable that plugs into the top of the circuit board. It might worth contacting the person you got to mod the camera and find out what happened to the USB cable because it would have had one originally.

Archived