Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

another pier

Erwin Kats

last weeks i started with the making of a pier.

I work for 1 of the biggest steel company's in the world so steel for the pier was the easiest part.

I work in telecommunications but for my work i also have to weld etc, so that was also an easy job.

the pipe for the pier has the some dimensions as the losmandy g-11 connection.

only my is a bit more thick... or how to say that lol. ( 10mm in stead of 8mm from the losmandy )

its 1 meter long, the groundplate is 30x30 centimeters also 10mm thick

i geus the photo's should speak for them self.

the biggest disadvantage is that i still live at my parents home so i have to get a bigger xmas gift for them this year :)

cutting the pipe.

zuil-02.jpg

my dad did the drawning :D

zuil-04.jpg

cutting the holes, and also big sliding holes for some adjusting when the pier is installed, very tough job with 10mm of thick steel.

zuil-05.jpg

this fits nicely

zuil-08.jpg

cleaning the groundplate to get better welding results.

zuil-09.jpg

making the weldings.

zuil-11.jpg

everything is welded, still some grinding left.

zuil-12.jpg

this fits perfect !

zuil-13.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

still perfect :)

zuil-14.jpg

50mm pvc for the wiring through the concrete, i will insert 2x usb cables and 1 cable with 2 sepperate 12 volt power suplies for the ddm mount witch will supply power to the QSI and the mount it self.

zuil-15.jpg

painting the pier with antirust paint , also used as primer for a satin white look at the end.

zuil-18.jpg

already 3 layers applyed.

zuil-21.jpg

my dad and me digging in the back garden.

zuil-20.jpg

45cm done, 15cm left....

zuil-22.jpg

my dad getting out the last parts of underground stones :)

zuil-24.jpg

making the ground level.

zuil-23.jpg

and a wooden box has been inserted of 1x1 meter and 50cm depth wich will hold 1000kg of concrete, that will arive today :D

so ill keep u posted.

zuil-25.jpg

regards, Erwin:hello2:

thanks Matt!

after all when we were getting the concrete in the wooden box i was surprised how much it was :), whoops.

but here some more pics, the concrete is already hardened

drilled the cable pipe to the wood so it will not shift.

zuil-31.jpg

some more screws

zuil-30.jpg

me mixing the conrete, we forgot to rent a mill for that lol :D

zuil-26.jpg

first load

zuil-29.jpg

alot to do :) 50 bags of 20 kg each.

zuil-28.jpg

few cm later

zuil-27.jpg

thats the reason why my little nephew is getting the azimuth bolts tighten up :)

, but thanks Rob !

zuil-37.jpg

in the mean while i also have put the ota on the mount, its very windy here at the moment, so i also covered the setup, now i really have to wait for a clear night, can't wait !

zuil-36.jpg

regards, Erwin

I take it your getting the level from the base as opposed to the top of the pier?

Youve gone this far and made an excellent pier/base why not make a top plate and get your final adjustments from there. any leverage will be from the top of the pier upwards instead of the pier base and upwards ...

You will find that once the pier base is bolted directly to the floor it will make a big difference through an eyepiece.. :hello2:

Super job and on a Victorian scale :p ... built to last.... :)

Looks a bit flimsy to me :p

Very tidy welding on the pier. A thorough job indeed.

thanks angus :D

looks good bud all you need to do is build an obsy around it but a shed cut hole in floor place it over pier and then build shed over top easy

to bad there is no room for a small obs :(

i use a scopecover to keep it dry , maybe ill build a rolling wooden shed (small one) soon to keep as less as possible mechanical preasure on the setup.

that is one heavy-duty pier! Nice one...

d

thanks !, it took some time but its a great effort to have.

I take it your getting the level from the base as opposed to the top of the pier?

Youve gone this far and made an excellent pier/base why not make a top plate and get your final adjustments from there. any leverage will be from the top of the pier upwards instead of the pier base and upwards ...

You will find that once the pier base is bolted directly to the floor it will make a big difference through an eyepiece.. :)

Super job and on a Victorian scale :D ... built to last.... :(

i do the final adjustment on the azimuth plate of the mount, this is not much but enough i hope ;)

What i already found out was, that its very heavy to point the pier when the whole setup is on it.

the ddm is with counterweights around 50 to 60 kilograms.....

even a pier is a learning curve :)

A great job Erwin the mount looks superb on it :)

Regards

Kevin

thanks Kevin !

i still have to paint the pier in a different color, but i want to do that in the summer.

for my security camera i also installed an IR beamer.

i got avery annoying neighbour living 2 houses away that is always throwing screws, spraying water over my setup in the summer, that for a 60 year old guy.... so pathetic.

offcourse during imaging the IR beamer will be turned off.

iruit.jpg

iraan.jpg

sorry guys, but that will not help, thats the reason why it is already playing for almost 4 years, and it is coming from their side, they are a very agressive family , more people in the neighbourhood are having problems with them.... no normal solution possible, we tried several options.

the guy in qeustion, also makes scratches on cars, and more stuff of that.... obsy, to big, the scope cover will do the work, as long as its on the setup during daytime, and summer nighttime.

he is also the biggest light polluter with a very big backyard light, they always needed some attention... to bad.

• 2 weeks later...

:icon_eek:

here a shot from 2 nights ago.

at the moment i am archieving some troubles with the mount :evil6:.

the wires etc are still a mess because i am still testing, also the foot for a big umbrella has been set next to the setup, for rain etc.

i want to test as much as possible, because of the trouble :)

pier-049.jpg

the stones of the garden will be replaces during the summer :D.

ah well, we have to use to disapointments right :)

thanks, if i can ever do some welding for you, let me hear, i can only weld metal by the way, alluminium cannot be done with my equipment.

maybe march we go verclause again, last time we had it very bussy, karel had some small problems, and because its remote everything has to be 100% .

at least karel is going, i don't know yet because of my school....i let you know

Hoi Erwin, thanks for posting this interesting thread.

Looks like it helps in one way to be working for a certain metalworks company in IJmuiden, but how is your night sky, it must be literally on fire from those chimneys? Same my father-in-law just retired from that place! He used to bring back lots of goodies in his car. Great place that was for doing some DIY projects.

Groetjes,

Chris

Archived