Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New/Old EQ5 arrives.

Andrew*

So I got a lovely big HEAVY parcel today, and opened it up to find a very smelly old EQ5 inside. Though it seems like it will do the job okay, it is, as Nick Smith said, a bit tatty. It's got bits missing, including slow motion cables (should have seen that from the picture), and the controller has a button cover missing (though this won't affect performance). The motors work, though I don't know how well. The steel tripod legs are mammoth, and it weighs a ton. But it's just so STINKY!! Well, I can live with that, as long as it goes away!

Right. Now on to the technical side. I can't see for the life of me how to get the scope on the mount.

The only thing I seem to be able to remove from the eq1 are the rings, but there's no way for them to attach directly onto the EQ5. Please help! I'm going into a crisis here, thinking I've made the worst purchase when I thought I'd made the best! :D

Andrew

Well, I ahve a few further questions already. There were no slow motion cables supplied with the mount, so I'm using the EQ1's ones for the time being. I can get the RA axis moving with the cables, but not the DEC. It just turns the motor cogs a little, but it's basically locked. Is this normal? If so, can I actually use slo-mo cables, or is that what the motor's for?

On the RA axis, the polar scope eyepiece is uncovered, and the setting circle is missing. This all seems to fit on the same thread, but it obviously wasn't included in the package. This is probably quite important, wouldn't you think?

The setting circle on the DEC scale just swivels around freely. Again, is this normal? How do I lock it, and why is it unlocked in the first place?

Andrew

My EQ5 just had knobs for slomo adjustment not cables.

If the DEC is locked, chances are the motor clutch is tightened up.

Check where the DEC motor gear is and undo the clutch wheel nut.

Don't worry about the setting circles, not much use.

Polar scope mor trouble than its worth, just sight polaris up the open tube. :D

thanks phil, but I can't find the clutch wheel nut, but maybe I won't need that if the motor does its job. As for the setting circles. I might find these useful for finding the rough position of things, even if it isn't accurate enough to actually find it.

Well, lets see how it fares at night...

when I've got the dovetail...

Andrew

right, I've seen a couple of dovetails around after a quick browse, but they're like 30cm long and £30! What's the need in a bar that long? Is it purely so you can get two scopes on teh mount, or what? And it's such a small simple thing without moving parts, so why would you spend £30 on it?

Quite confused still...

Andrew

i have the same mount as you and it works a real treat. I am sure you will be happy with it. Polar alingment - dont bother! Just aim as close as you can, you only need it for long exposure astro shots. The slow motion cables, I dont think they are standard on the EQ5, I bought some from Steve @ flo but only use one on the Dec as using it on the RA causes it to spin back round due to the weight of the screw holding it on! Although I think my mount has been dis-assembled and re-greased so you might not have that much trouble. the slo motion cables were £17 delivered from FLO but I would just get a couple of adjustment handles from here http://www.orionoptics.co.uk/acatalog/gp_options.htm

Hope you find a bar cheap enough, I completly agree that £30 seems quite a lot for a lump of metal!

Archived