Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Some astronomy calculators

george7378

Hi everyone,

I decided to make a collection of calculators which I would find useful, and which I hope will be useful to the astronomy community. As far as I can tell they work OK, but this may not be the case on everyone else's computers, so I was wondering if you could please take a few seconds to run one or two of them on your machine to see if they work for you?

EDIT:

The final version is (hopefully) ready for download at:

http://gkastro.a60.us/Astrocalcsetup.exe

Interesting website :)

I'm afraid I can't be much help because I don't use a telescope (haven't got one at the moment). But I've tried the 'Absolute magnitude' calculator and after entering the distance nothing happened except for calculator to start from beginning....

Yes, a menu interface would make the calculators more userfriendly

or the hubble constant to a redshift to get light years

This is a little tricky. If only matter (dark and normal) and dark energy are used, a solution can be written down in closed form (using hyperbolic trig), but if radiation is also included (the universe was radiation dominated at very early times), then a numerical integration must be performed.

Oh right - I don't know why that is. I tried it again and it seems to work - did you enter 0 or a negative number for distance? Thanks. Does this happen with anyone else?

It's ok. It works :D I had not noticed the brief line above where it reads 'enter another value..... or.... to exit'.

May I suggest to display absolute magnitude in colour.

Archived