Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello nice astronomy experts & gurus. Hello to you all "ME" in Rawdon, Leeds

JamieH

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Star walks is an app you can get, I don't know if it is available for a smartphone, but you can get it for an iPod touch (btw they are great so ask for one for christmas, lol)

It is like Stellarium, but for an iPod so you only ever need take the iPod outside instead of a laptop. Stellarium has more objects in it, like NGC's but Starwalks has all Messier objects and info on meteor showers, planets etc. Though it has an update that I haven't downloaded yet and this one tells you extra things like where the ISS is and I am hoping some NGC's will get added. I will let you know when I get home on Friday and download it.

Neil

What if I use a Power breaker which we use for when we mow the lawn. In case the cord gets cut.

Yes, that should do the job, it probably says RCD somewhere on it.

Most houses now-a-days should have RCD protection on all downstairs sockets - definitely the kitchen (or mums workshop as it's known :)).

Only reason I mentioned it is once we get into winter I wouldn't like to think you were trailing 240volts thru damp grass with out protection - for you or your gear. :)

Hi Neil. That's really useful. I suppose I need an Ipod Touch. That sound like a very nice piece of software & really convenient too. What is ISS information? I'm still to read up on or find out about Messier, NGC & Nebulas.

Hi bunnygod1. Hello from me too, What's it like in Bedfordshire? It's cloudy here, overcast & dismal. Not very clear so I can't try to do a red dot finder alignment. Oh well, maybe thur or fri...Nice to meet you :)

Darkly, Our PowerBreaker is quite old but we have had past accidents in the garden before where we know it has cut out the current with hedge trimmer or lawn mower. It's a 13A 240v Plug, it has a 30mA TRIP CURRENT as it says on the back. Our kitched was re fitted out with new electrics a year or two ago now, we had to move house for the council to do it.

But the telescope will be going through a few power systems. It won't be plugged into the kitchen power sockets. Our Porch ext has a 5 bar Masterplug power Extension, that plugs into the Kitchen power sockets. It's on the Porch wall with like a long rectangular red power status light down far right of the socket. I don't know if it's RCD.

The Extension Reel in the workshop outside is just a two bar two socket standard round wound blue extension reel which stands upright with a metal carry bar handle. Not sure if that has any kind of RCD in it. Theres no lights on it. We just use it for when we take the hedge trimmer down our long Back garden to trim Hedge.

THe PowerBreaker has always been plugged into the 5 bar extension socket in the Porch & has always cut out the power & we have noticed it trip the whole house electricity before. Our whole house with the new electrical system seems to have a lower toleration to cut things mre often with lower load than the older electrical system. I guesse it's for the new safety regulations that all council houses or every house has to meet.

Jamie I have a similar synscan but it is on a Skywatcher EQ mount and on mine the power is plugged into the motor controller or MC on the mount.

The mount should then power the synscan handset via the link cable.

The error message you are receiving which says no link to MC makes me think the link cable might be faulty.

It could be worth trying another cable just in case.

ISS = International Space Station.

I good place to start is with Messier objects, you will find NGC's but there are so many it can be tricky to decide which ones to find as some of them you won't be able to see and you might end up trying for hours to find something that has been discovered with much large scopes and can't be seen by yours.

Star Walks is good because it has a search list of Messier objects and it highlights the ones you can actually see at that time. In time you get yourself into a routine of making a list of objects you aim to find and when. For example at the moemnt the Moon would block the light from many objects, so there is little point in looking for some objects as you won't get a good view of them.

Neil

I posted you a PM Beamish :) Again, please don't feel bad if I don't accept your generosity. Their are jsut exceptions really. Okay.

I can use the Planisphere now. I had a play about with it. Not sure why 17th Nov is missing. Some days seem to be missing for a genuine reason no doubt.

Jamie :)

Archived