Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First View of Orion

Toadeh

I've been looking at Orion recently using 15x70 binos. Amazing how many stars I could see, even in such a light polluted area as where I live. The nebula just looked like a small, fuzzy smudge around 2 stars though, which was a bit disapointing. I suppose I will have to head to a darker area for a better view of this.

Have enjoyed observing the moon before dark today. Very clear skies in Halifax, West Yorkshire at the moment. Now it has got a bit darker I've been taking a look at Jupiter. To my surprise I can also see the faint dot of what I assume is Uranus right next to Jupiter, which I am very pleased to have seen for the first time.

I'd like to have a look at Saturn later on. It means dragging myself out of bed at 5:00 am though.

I think it was the moons. They were specs near the disc of Jupiter. I could only see one initially, but when I took a step back from the tripod so that it stopped shaking slightly, I could see all four.

They were quite close in and their positions match the positions that Stellarium said the moons should be in. I think I was just mistaken originally, I think Uranus would be a bit further away to the top left as you have said.

Slight thread highjack, but I recieved my first pair of binoculars during the new moon. With all the bad weather I've only just had my first look at the moon....awestruck... is how I felt :). the relief of the crators along the terminator just gave the image an amazing three dimensional feel, the sense of scale is humbling.

My binocs are 10x70's, I wonder how much better it would look at higher mag.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

iv seen it with my 15X70s really awe striking never thought it would be as clear saw it the main night the geminades were on

might take my rockwell ones out tonight just quickly to see wot its like in them need to get a seat for my 15X70s as tripod is too low n have to croutch down which for long watchin can be a little.... painful

Archived