NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Did You Ever Have One Of Those Nights When...

pbyrne

It was clear here in Dublin last night, dragged out the 12" dob and looked forward to a night's observing. It quickly became apparent that it was going to be one of those nights where I would not find my own backside with both hands, a map and a close friend with torch.:)

I couldn't find anything, M31 was found after a ridiculous amount of time, M52 eluded me and the Double Cluster showed itself, eventually. By this time more than an hour had passed and frustration was growing.

I had planned to hunt down some Herschel clusters in Perseus and Cassiopeia, that plan was thrown out the window, if I can't find M52, what chance did I have of finding such objects as NGC 654 or NGC 7789 or NGC 1245.

At this stage I noticed some clouds coming in from the west, and it's terrible to say but I was hoping they would come over, and they did. Luckily I got the scope in before the rain began to fall.

I know there is no explanation for such an occurance:icon_scratch:, but it's enough to pull your hair out, considering the limited number of clear nights we get.

Hi Paul.

Dont get too discouraged,we have all been there,and fully understand your frustration.I myself was out last night,the sky was lovely and clear,but it was windy,and the image was all over the place.

Have you invested in a Telrad sight,it s a great piece of kit,and can really help.

When you have located the object on the chart,stand back and have a good luck at the area of sky your object is.Note any bright star near the object,and locate it in your low power eyepiece.Try and identify the field of view on a good star chart.Tirion 2000 is exerllent.If you succeed,gently look around the area with a low power,and hopefully it will come into view,be patient.

If you intend to keep the scope for a long time,i can whole heartly recommend Digital setting circles.JMI make them for all scopes but they are not cheap.

However i,m sure you will master star hopping with practise,and above all,we are all out there battling with you.

Regards.

Mick.

I think we all have nights like that, I certainly do. Like you say, the frustration just makes it worse - makes it all too easy to misread the starchart, or not take your time finding your bearings.

M31 and the double cluster are both naked eye objects here so I don't struggle with them, but I've always found M52 harder to find than I expect, it doesn't seem to be quite where my brain expects it.

It just could have been any better north of the border we had one of the best nights in weeks , I was out from 8.00 till 2.00 in the end just had to get indoors it got so cold even though i was in my obby,But it give me a great chance to use my new eyepiece kit and if it stays good hope to get more use tonight. Forgot Ireland play today so i'll see what i'm like after a few tinnies.

It's just one of those things, I have a Telrad and I've been at this game for more than 25 years. From my back garden neither M31 nor the Double Cluster are naked eye objects, heck, some of the brightest stars aren't even naked eye.

I'm putting it down to life's habit of tossing a spanner in your works.

.... It quickly became apparent that it was going to be one of those nights where I would not find my own backside with both hands, a map and a close friend with torch.:D

That's the funniest thing i've read for ages. :):D:D

I had a night like that last week - I think I knocked my RDF and finder out of alignment and also couldnt find andromeda...

Hmmmmm.....was in that situ. t'other night looking for a faint galaxy in cassiopeia. The stars in the eyepiece just did not look like they did on the map. I 'fiddled' (was going to use expletive!) about, trying to star hop to the object from different jumping-off ponts but kept going back to the original way which should have been the easiest. I think I was tired from lack of sleep the previous night.

Sometimes the eyepiece view does not seem to match because one gets confused on the scale/width of view of the eyepiece, sometimes because there is a genuine difference due to an asteroid in the field or a variable star being at a different brightness from expected, sometimes because you get confused on how bright a star/stars should look eg too faint to be seen, or the map doesn't show all the stars that are present in the eyepiece.

In this particular case I neglected to use my usual method due probably to tiredness so faffed about for about 25 minutes in the end getting my bearings but still couldnt see the object as it was too faint anyway!

I think one needs to take a break, have a cuppa or just a sit-down which one can be reluctant to do as clear skies have been so few and far between lately. :D:p:D:):eek:...............:)

An article I read in 'Astronomy' magazine many moons ago described the universe as a 'harsh mistress' - too true, too true,

Archived