Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter SEB Revival...

Paul G. Abel

Greetings all!

Many of you have perhaps already heard that Chris GO has nicely imaged a bright white spot in Jupiter's SEB. This may well be the start of the SEB revival which usually brings about dramatic changes and upheaval in Jupiter's atmosphere ending in the reappearance of the SEB. I caught fleeting glimpses of it last night (see my drawing in the Usual section here), but I urge all of you to go out and draw/image it. Obviously if anyone want's to try to draw this phenomena and has any questions, please get in touch!

The spot is currently around Longitude L2: 290. It is hoped that this revival should be quite dramatic! Expect interesting developments and send your observations to Dr. John Rogers at the BAA Jupiter section (jhr11@hermes.cam.ac.uk).

All best wishes,

-Paul.

Could you include the date, time and the Longitudes of Systems I and II with that george?

This was taken yesterday evening (10th Nov 2010) between 20:40 and 21:30UT. I know that is not very accurate, but on my computer it says that the video was:

Dates.png

I transferred the video to the computer after I took it (obviously), but 21:30 sounds about right. However, the following website tells me that the shadow was in the same position as the image at 20:40UT:

Jupiter's Moons

S1.png

...so I don't know which is right.

As for latitudes/longitudes and Systems I and II - I don't know how to go about finding those - could you give me a little bit of newbie help?

Thanks.

Hi George,

The best thing to do is to record the time as soon as you have stopped recording the planet (i.e. you record a short bit of video then stop). This will give you the time of your observation (in UT).

Now, Jupiter's equator rotates quicker than the rest of it; this is why it looks flattened, and so there are two systems of longitude. Objects in the equatorial zone (i.e. between the SEB and NEB) have a longitude in System I, while everything else is in System II. The white spot is in the SEB and so has a longitude of L2: 290.

NASA uses a third system (System III) which is the rotational period of Saturn's Magnetosphere.

It is easy to find the longitudes of all these systems, simply install the free software 'WINJUPOS' WinJUPOS_Guide_English_version

Follow the on screen instructions and install. All you have to do then is go to the Program menu then celestial body and select 'Jupiter', then go to the tools menu and choose 'empherides' In the graphics tab, enter the date and time of your observation and you will see three boxes with 'CM1:' 'CM2:' and 'CM3:' This tells you what line of longitude is on the Central Meridian (an imaginary line running from the north pole to the south pole).

So tonight, at 2030, the line of longitude on CM1: 170.5 degrees, while on System II, CM2: 116 degrees. We want the line of longtiude L2: 290 (as this is the location of the spot), so if I click on the 'fast forward '|>|> ' button the time and longitudes increase and I see that L2: 290 degrees is on the CM at 0118UT.

So, for every image you make, you can now add the date, time, seeing conditions, telescope used along with CM1, CM2, and CM3. This why you will be able to know what is on the CM at the time of your image.

Hope this helps!

-Paul.

FYI CM2=290 just around 2100 UT tonight (12 Nov) - just about ideal for those of us in the UK. I hope some people have somewhat less wild weather than I have; it looks as though there's a fair chance of getting some clear spells between showers but it's still very windy!

Hi Kieron,

I have spoken to John and he says he's happy to receive images from anyone.

-Paul.

Thanks Paul, good to know. Clearly Dr Rogers and the BAA have changed their policy since I last offered them some images and observing reports, about 5 years ago.

Regards, Kieron

Archived