Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

VENUS just after opposition

Dave Smith

Taken today (06 Nov 2010) at around 11.30 am.

As with previous Venus images, taken with FL102S and 2x barlow with DMK21 camera and astronomik red filter.

Stacked in Registax5 and tweaked in Photoshop.

Just 5 or 6 more needed now to gibbous phase.

Dave

post-14654-133877499489_thumb.jpg

Very nice Dave - not bad at all for a day time capture, getting a good result is quite hard IMO.

How long is the sequence you have now?

Ant

Thanks Ant, I now have seven images from July to today. All have had to be taken in daylight as it is such an unfavourable opposition. At least it will get it out of my system.

Dave

With such low phase and with dark sky and RG1000 filter you could try catching the night side of Venus.

Thanks Rik, I don't think I stand much chance of that as Venus is quite close to the Sun at the moment and to get a darkish sky I would need a clear East horizon which I don't have.

Dave

today morning i saw Venus after opposition for the first time. it was about 8 degrees above horizon and the twilight was starting to get bright.

i was startled by what i saw. it was a crescent. i didn't know the phase could be viewed naked eye. i wasn't sure of what i saw, i thought it was because i knew it would be a crescent at this time that i perceived it as such. so i showed it to a friend who is not into astronomy and asked if it looks like crescent. he said yes and he also correctly said the side it was facing. so i knew i wasn't imagining it.

but i am still confused. is it possible to see the phase naked eye? may be it looked like a crescent cos it was close from horizon? (there was not a hint of a cloud).

wikipedia says :

"The extreme crescent phase of Venus can be seen without a telescope by those with exceptionally acute eyesight, at the limit of human perception. The angular resolution of the naked eye is about 1 minute of arc. The apparent disk of Venus' extreme crescent measures between 60.2 and 68 seconds of arc, depending on the distance from Earth. Nevertheless it is possible for observers with extremely acute eyesight to see a crescent Venus under ideal atmospheric circumstances.

There have been numerous reports stating such observations."

so it IS possible. but i wear glasses, how the hell would my eyesight be counted exceptional?? :eek:

Nice picture. By a weird coincidence, I had a go looking for Venus at around the same time but couldn't find it. I think I'd moved my scope since parking it, so its alignment was all off. As I have only a red-dot finder, I was all at sea trying to find Venus by hand. Then it clouded over. At least one of us managed it!

Nice picture. By a weird coincidence, I had a go looking for Venus at around the same time but couldn't find it. I think I'd moved my scope since parking it, so its alignment was all off. As I have only a red-dot finder, I was all at sea trying to find Venus by hand. Then it clouded over. At least one of us managed it!

I find that I have to align on the Sun first using the finder with my hand as a screen behind and then slew to Venus and it has so far always been visible in the finder, and then gradually zoom in on it, firstly with eyepieces and then the camera initially without the barlow.

so it IS possible. but i wear glasses, how the hell would my eyesight be counted exceptional?? :eek:

I have seen Venus on a previous occasion with 8x binoculars and it looked as big as the Moon naked eye, so I can imagine that it is possible to see the crescent naked eye.

Dave

I find that I have to align on the Sun first using the finder with my hand as a screen behind and then slew to Venus and it has so far always been visible in the finder, and then gradually zoom in on it, firstly with eyepieces and then the camera initially without the barlow.

Ah, excellent tip! I shall try that next time.

... but i wear glasses, how the hell would my eyesight be counted exceptional?? :eek:

There you go. Your glasses have corrected your eyes to near perfection, whereas non-spectacle-wearers with average vision don't know what they're missing! (speaking as a spectacle-wearer myself).

A really great image, Dave, by the way. Can we please see it alongside your other sequence of Venus images

Can we please see it alongside your other sequence of Venus images

OK. I didn't add it to the sequence as it didn't fit very well. I had just been cloning each image in. I have now redone the whole sequence with each image in a separate layer so they can be independently moved. This is very much work in progress as I am planning to place each image more accurately according to it's real position relative to the Sun, rather than just by eye as I have done so far. I wasn't planning on posting any more images until Venus reaches the gibbous phase again.

Dave

post-14654-13387749984_thumb.jpg

Archived