Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Product review - Baader Optical Wonder Fluid & Cloth

Beulah

It's been one of those products I have ignored for ages, due to the relatively expensive cost compared to a lens cleaning fluid and cloth from somewhere like Specsavers....

After mooching around on the web searching for reviews of this product, I finally bought one after accidently marking the coated surface of one of my cheaper (but good quality nonetheless) eyepieces - which was probably due to too much pressure and particles in the cloth. I didn't want this to happen with my top level eyepieces, so that is why I buckled...:eek:

£13.50 isn't really that much at the end of the day...

I had a good spring clean of my eyepieces yesterday in anticipation of a clear spell, and was really impressed with the quality of this product - the cloth felt incredibly softer than the optician's equivelent, and the fluid seemed to really pick up the grime and smeary eye stuff (gee, thanks kids), leaving very clean optical surfaces. I'll give the other stuff to a bespectacled relative!

To anyone who hasn't bought the Baader optical wonder fluid & cloth yet as they are beginners, or like me, too stingy to contemplate it, I'd say go for it, as it is one of those rare products that does exactly what it says on the tin.

Another agreement from me.

I had 'greasy spots' that were deposits from trees on my MN78 front. The usual air blast and light brush did absolutely nothing, of course. I was bothered what effect my own concoctions might have on the coating. So I chickened out and ordered from FLO. Fantastic stuff. Works on finger grease on other things like the delicate plastics on MP3 players, phones, etc.

...I had 'greasy spots' that were deposits from trees on my MN78 front. The usual air blast and light brush did absolutely nothing, of course. I was bothered what effect my own concoctions might have on the coating. So I chickened out and ordered from FLO. Fantastic stuff.....

Yep - I did the corrector of my MN61 with it as well - I'll have to watch out for those tree deposits on it :eek:

Brilliant stuff - always does the job with pristine results. One bottle lasts ages - mine's just about run out after almost 3 years! Another one on order any day now.

However, I'm not sure about the cloth at all. Before long you will inevitably use the same part twice, potentially putting grease and or grit back onto the glass. Tried to wash mine but it didn't come out well so I threw it away.

Andrew

Just to add a bit of value here - I have read that using the fluid with soft tissues is fine - just don't use them twice - "wipe and throw" :eek:

Can you recommend a brand of safe, soft, generally lint-free tissue?

Thanks,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Mike Wilson asked about tissues.

I bought the Doc Clay's cleaning kit from OPT. Obviously, being in US, they couldn't ship the fluids but the tissues and brush and fluid containers were first rate. He did all the research and one pack of 200 lint-free medical tissues will last me for ages till I can source some locally. They are called Esthetic Wipes, are made by a US firm called Intrinsics and are 4-ply, 8".8", non-woven. You have to be able to find some in UK given the above data.

Actually, when I looked on the back of the pack, the medical wipes are made in Israel and are manufactured for Bernhardt Mfg. Charlotte, NC. I guess Intrinsics is the trade mark.

You definitely want medical grade, lint-free wipes if you are dealing with lens or corrector plates.

I intend to take my pack of wipes into Boots to see if they have something similar, failing that it is the independents or finding a friendly nurse:)

Archived