Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Maplin 5 in 1 Power Tank

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This post got me looking at batteries (thinking of using the computer). I read the specs and prices of the Maplins jumpstarters you folks in the UK have available. They are much better value - more features at lower prices - than are available at regular offer prices here in the States. We don't get the same brands as do you, but comparing features (and using a currency conversion widget) it appears that they are about 20% less in the UK.

only problem i`ve found is the mains charger, it`s only 500ma per hour, so what i do is use my car battery charger to charge the battery pack better and faster and have had no problems since, touch wood, i`ve ran my heq5 synscan for more than 4 hours sometimes with no problems since sorting out the charging issues

I'm thinking it's the one to get but it's not receiving good reviews on Maplin's site. Many are saying it doesn't hold a charge???

Either they haven't charged it properly or they aren't using it properly, I find it difficult to believe that all of the batteries or circuitry in them is duff. Any battery that stands unused for long periods will slowly lose charge, and might even lose capacity. A car battery gets a big discharge each time the car is started, and when lights are used, and is then slowly recharged as the car is driven, as a result they get plenty of use!

That's my opinion anyway, and it works for me.

If it works for you...you're doing something right :)

I used to sell batteries up to £400 a piece and looking after them (inc not over discharging) was key to a long life. Also balanced charging but I guess in these things you're at the mercy of the manufacturers way.

But I do know that no matter what...bad quality batteries can die quickly and for no other reason than being poorly made.

For the price...it's worth the risk anyway. And also all you guys who use it for what I (and possibly the OP) intend to use it for seem to have no issues. Obviously the low amps we pull from these things is also akin to good battery life.

£35 is a cracking price really.

£19 for the black version, a bargain, as i`ve said before the charger that comes with the units are slow 1/2 amp per hour charge rate, so i use my car battery charger and it charges much better and since using this method of charging i`ve had no problems since and have had the mount running for 4 hours with no problems

£19 for the black version is amazing. It doesn't have a compressor in it, which as far as I'm concerned is an advantage as it saves weight and £10!

I went into Maplin today and picked up one of the Aluminium flight cases. It's quite large, about twice the size of the Revelation Eyepiece case and much deeper too. It comes with a foam inner piece that has been cut into rectangular cubes so you can pull out your own shaped holes easily.

I like it so much, I might get another one and start getting all my astro gear into flight cases.

The 5-in-1 that I bought online from Maplin arrived just in it's original box, minimal packing, and had obviously been dropped because the unit had a massive crack all the way down the front. I called Maplin and they picked it up same day, a new one was delivered the next day which I was quite impressed with. Good service, shame about the non-existent packing.

The unit itself looks and feels cheap, but if it does the job who cares! I shall probably never use the compressor, but the bright light is quite handy for the end of the session to see if I've dropped anything on the ground, and when I'm carrying it back to the house too, probably the brightest LED torch I've come across yet. I might see if I can get some sort of red covering on it so that I can use it while observing.

I like that it has two 12V outputs on it, saves messing around with adaptors. Talking of which, could anyone confirm for me if this is what I need in order to hook it up to my Celestron 8SE?

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=Skytron_power_cable

I might see if I can get some sort of red covering on it so that I can use it while observing.

I bought some red fingernail polish from eBay for £1. Several layers and a solvent-high later and I have a push-button red light on the power tank. Very useful for clearing up after a session at night without disturbing others, or for checking the ground for dropped bits and pieces.

You need a cigarette lighter to power adaptor cable to connect it up. They're cheap and plentiful.

I like that it has two 12V outputs on it, saves messing around with adaptors. Talking of which, could anyone confirm for me if this is what I need in order to hook it up to my Celestron 8SE?

Cables, Leads and Controllers - SkyTron Power Supply Cable for Skywatcher & Celestron Mounts

That will work. It's expensive but five meters long is pretty handy.

Archived