Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I'm just back from my latest stint in the Alba field 140 miles NE of Aberdeen, where I was privaliged to view one of the best auroral displays I have ever seen.

It was a couple of weeks ago (13th of Oct?) at about 2200 hrs. There was a bright green curtain approx 15 degrees above the northen horizon which shimmered and moved from west to east. There were also some bright green rays which extended a further 50 degrees above the main display.

It lasted a couple of hours and the entire crew of the ship I work on were up on the bridge watching it.

During the last solar max I was seeing aurorae on a weekly basis from the North-east coast of Scotland. Im at a latitude of 57 degrees 40 minutes north.

True many of these were faint and I have an un-interupted view of the North sea but I suspect that aurorae are more common than most people realise. Streetlights are the problem.

cheers for that. I was thinking maybe Norway or even Iceland. I presume that although activity will peak in maybe September that there will be an increase in activity before then and thus a chance to see it increased? I am thinking of a trip in late May (although thinking about it, the flies may be a problem then?!!)

• 2 months later...

Archived