Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

10 inch Dobsonian has arrived

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is a 10" Dob REALLY that big and heavy?

I am in a wheelchair yet with pretty good mobility and way above normal upper body strength.

I am really starting to wonder if i could manage a scope f 8-10".

hi Paul

I suspect you could easily handle the weight of an 8-10" the problem would be reaching the height of the eyepiece. I think you'd be fine for some lower angles and the 10" but not the upper ones near the zenith and OK for higher angles and more of the lower angles too on the 8" so I THINK the 8" would be a good choice for you and would be a big improvement on the 130mm.

if you have anyone on the forum that could measure the observing heights at various positions for an 8" dob then this would be good. maybe start another thread?

I could estimate from my dobs if someone could confirm the height off the ground of eg the 8" Skywatcher.

I could estimate from my dobs if someone could confirm the height off the ground of eg the 8" Skywatcher.

8" Skywatcher Dob: 117cm from ground to centre of eyepiece, with scope pointing to zenith. At roughy 45°, I'd say it's 106cm**

For the 12", at zenith, it's 142.5cm

So the 10" could be around 129cm.

** I broke my wixey (I didn't read the instructions where it said, "do not place on active machinery whilst in operation"), the 45° is an estimate.

8" Skywatcher Dob: 117cm from ground to centre of eyepiece, with scope pointing to zenith. At roughy 45°, I'd say it's 106cm**

For the 12", at zenith, it's 142.5cm

So the 10" could be around 129cm.

** I broke my wixey (I didn't read the instructions where it said, "do not place on active machinery whilst in operation"), the 45° is an estimate.

aaaag - bad one Sam re the Wixey. just ordered mine so forewarned is forearmed! I reckon I'll place mine near the tail end as I am less likely to know it off then.

Archived