your views of the SW200P

Well been using my SW130P for a while now and i must say i have the bug, also the bug for more aperture:D

So been looking at the Skywatcher 200P, so my question is in simple terms...how much more will i see?, what kind of difference in viewing will there be between my 130P and the 200P (big i hope), would love to have better views of jupitar/ planets, and more so deep space.

some honest comments about the performance of this scope would be great before i part with some cash...cheers guys:icon_salut:

I went from a 130P to a 200P and it's a really substantial difference. Your views are so much better - I'll never forget seeing M13 through it from a dark site.

The 200P is a really popular scope and it's not hard to see why: it's big enough to get impressive views but at the limits of being manageable. As soon as you go up a step in size you get into the realm of bulky and hard to handle.

I really don't think you'd regret this upgrade.

The 200P is an exellent all rounder, not too big or small, transportable and good for both Moon/Planets (with a Barlow etc) and DSO's with a long focus 2" eyepiece. It is also very useful as an f/5 imaging scope. Can't go wrong!! Can you tell that I really like mine??

I have had the SW 200P for a few weeks now and can't fault it. I haven't counted how many DSO's I have seen (ticked off on a list at the moment) but I think about 20 - 30 in the first few weeks, I do live in Cyprus so I have many a clear night :). I have found once the scope is correctly balanced and level the mount operates flawlessly.

I have only the 2 EP's that came with the scope but still the views of Jupiter through the 10mm are really good (better after collimation).

Portability wise I carry the mount and tripod from the shed together into the garden, not that heavy once you are used to it ,then the OTA is really light in comparison, but even setting up from scratch doesn't take long.

As it's been said it is a very popular and highly regarded scope and I bought mine after reading many comments and reviews on this and other forums/websites, I just had to reign myself in not to go for more aperture.

Oh god this dont help...MORE HELP GUYS!!.

Just had another look on FLO at the SW200P and then thought i'l take a look at some of the Skywatcher Dobsonian's, i understand the 200P version in this is also a good scope, and a BIG difference in price, as i wont be doing any photo work with my scopes, just viewing would this be a better buy?

the review sounds very good and sounds perfect for some deep space and planet work, simple to use to....now i dont know what to do

If your not doing any photo work then i would recommend the Dob 200p.

Its an awesome piece of kit for a great price. Easy to move about.

I bought mine after alot of great advice from this forum.

Glad i did..!

Clear Skies

Wakey

If you are SURE that you don't want to take pictures then the Dob is a good idea - you could still take pics of the Moon through the Dob. If portability is not a problem then why not go for a bigger Dob - 250 or 300? Aparture rules! (sometimes!!!)

Now you should really be confused - so sit back and take stock. Then wait a while before you part with your cash.

Another one for the dob. It was my first scope so I have nothing to compare it to but I find the views through it quite satisfying. Storage isn't an issue either as it just sits in the corner of the room and takes up little space (40x40cm).

Basic afocal photography is possible as well, I have managed basic compact camera shots of the moon. Not to mention some decent webcam shot of Jupiter and Uranus. A tracking mount would be preferable but it the dob works OK.

thanks guys, that was easy you all seem 100% on the dob.

No i will not be taking photo's, and dont think i will due to the added expense, not my thing.

The 250P sounds good but i do have to travel in the car for a mile or so to a dark site so i guess the 200P is the limit.

i have had my 200p since april this year and travel to dark sites in kent all the time . . .i was thinking about the dob but bought the eq and added the ra and dec clock drive and that really makes a difference as it keeps the target your looking at in the eye piece . . I was out looking at the moon and it clouded over 5 mins later i was still on target and other people with me could carry on lookingi will i ate my sandwich and then went back to it and still on target the guy with the dob was still having to manually track . . so just to say i prefer the tracking :) im i lazy lol :)

No not lazy, i bought a supatrak mount for my 130P and it is good to use, as i got this one tracking i was thinking of the dob more for deep space, of course i love the views of planets (the moon still blows me away) and the 200P will (i hope) just make this better, so no tracking on another scope is not an issue

I've seen 250s carried in ordinary cars quite easily, especially if you can put the back seats down.

To address your second question though, I agree that if you're visual only then the dob is the right choice. Put the (substantial) saving towards the bigger scope or some nice eyepieces.

Archived